The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 6, 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
MonsterB

Good belt for CCW

I just wanted to share my recent new learned knowledge, for the less than the .02 its worth. I have been carrying for several years, with just a regular dickies wally world special belt, that I thought was pretty stiff and sturdy, and worked well. Last week I picked up a Galco insrtuctor belt at the Sig shop, and I am just amazed with it. Its probably the most comfy belt I have ever owned, regardless of the carry function. Add this belt to my new Milt Sparks holster for my 229, and it feels like you are just wearing a belt, and nothing more. I have heard so many times how much of a difference a good belt makes, and I am now understanding what its all about. If you dont have a good carry belt, think about getting one, you will be very happy you did. The Galco I have was 50 bucks, and Im sure there are some nicer options, but for the price I am incredibly impressed.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:12 PM   #2
OldSoul

I will agree with the belt comment. I happened upon a guy at a flea market of all places and he was selling hand crafted belts and handing out KJV Bibles to anyone who would take one. He relocated from Alaska his company was called Yellow Rose. I told him what I needed and he searched through his shelf and pulled out the belt and $20 bucks later I had he best belt I have ever had I just wish I had bought multiples.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:59 AM   #3
rayway

Just buy the toughest looking $ 15 dickie belt at walmart it can hold up to 120 lbs they work great for guns on your hip if you find the tough one that is.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:18 AM   #4
fivepaknh

A $15 Dickies belt likely feels good to you because you've never tried a real good gun belt. I have a couple and if you compared them side by side with the belt you're talking about you would quickly see the difference. I have a horsehide belt from the Belt Man and another by 5.11 tactical. The rigidity of these belts compared to a Walmart belt is the difference. If money is critical then I hear the Amish made a good gun belt for about $30 and fast delivery.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:42 AM   #5
GlockieWa

I highly recommend beltman. A tag of $150 for a horsehide belt could be considered a little bit pricey but it's absolutely worth of it. Bought 2 of them, plan to buy one more.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:54 AM   #6
fivepaknh

The horsehide I bought from Beltman was about $115. With a military discount is cost about $90. Delivery was about 8 weeks but worth it. His belts can cost more if you need the reinforcement liner. I don't recall exactly what it says on his website, but is your waist is under a certain size you don't need the insert.

The 5.11 Tactical belt was $40 on sale at the Fort Sill PX. They're usually $50. I wear this belt with cargo shorts.

I went with a cheap belt for years and thought they were fine. I only became a believer in true gun belts about six months ago.
Old December 7, 2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
A $15 Dickies belt likely feels good to you because you've never tried a real good gun belt.
Exactly. Once you try a real belt designed to carry a gun, you will never go back.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Jakes

Amish belts are great
I've been wearing one for a month now and it still like new.No sag.The belt is a true 1/4 inch thick.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:08 AM   #9
dayman

Duluth Trading Co. makes (or at least made) a couple 1/4" thick belts that work very well for $40-60. They're not marketed as gun belts, but they work as well as my instructors belt.
I like the nylon, but it doesn't work with every suit of cloths.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Sparks1957

Quote:
Once you try a real belt designed to carry a gun, you will never go back
Absolutely. Once you switch, you realize it really makes all the difference in terms of comfort and security.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Ajtozzi

I just bought a belt from Rigid Holsters. I can't believe I been wearing crappy belts for so long. I've spent some serious money on designer belts in the past (Gucci and Ferragamo) and this belt, at $55, kicks some serious ass. No more saggy pants and it holds my concealed handgun perfectly.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Stealth01

Can't beat the Beltman!!

http://thebeltman.net/
Old December 7, 2012, 10:57 AM   #13
fivepaknh

Quote:
Amish belts are great
I've been wearing one for a month now and it still like new.No sag.The belt is a true 1/4 inch thick.
I think for the price I'm going to get one just to have an extra. It would also make a good gift for my son that just started carrying.

Last edited by fivepaknh; December 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:24 AM   #14
nate45

Naturally I've not tried all belts, but I do have some nice ones. Several of them are purpose built gun belts, by big name holster makers. One of my belts, is a high end dress belt, that is expensive enough, that I wouldn't want a holster creasing it. So I know a little about what quality should look like.

The only belt that I've personally tried, that was realitvely inexpensive, was from Carhartt.

MEN’S JOURNEYMAN BELT

I have a brown one, like the one I linked to above, that I've had for thirteen years and a black one that for five. They have held up excellently. I've torn up, every other similar priced belt of another brand that I've ever owned. I have different holsters, knife and tool scabbards and ammo carriers that I wear at various times. My Carhartt belt holds them on as tight and as comfortable as I need them to be.

Is it as nice as a lined, hand stitched, gun belt? No, definitely not. It is very good for $25 though. So I'd thought I'd offer it up as a lower priced alternative, for the more frugal among us.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:50 AM   #15
dahermit

Quote:
I just wanted to share my recent new learned knowledge, for the less than the .02 its worth. I have been carrying for several years, with just a regular dickies wally world special belt, that I thought was pretty stiff and sturdy, and worked well. Last week I picked up a Galco insrtuctor belt at the Sig shop, and I am just amazed with it. Its probably the most comfy belt I have ever owned, regardless of the carry function. Add this belt to my new Milt Sparks holster for my 229, and it feels like you are just wearing a belt, and nothing more. I have heard so many times how much of a difference a good belt makes, and I am now understanding what its all about. If you dont have a good carry belt, think about getting one, you will be very happy you did. The Galco I have was 50 bucks, and Im sure there are some nicer options, but for the price I am incredibly impressed.
Concealed carry while wearing casual clothing perhaps. But, it would stand out like a Humpty Dumpty ensemble if in dress/office, sport coat clothing. Unless of course your co-workers were used to you showing up in a sport coat and a feather boa anyway. In short, if it were part of a swat-black duty rig, it would be perfect. But, to blend in with civilian clothing, no.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:43 PM   #16
bikerbill

My wife got me a Beltman belt for my birthday this summer. Because I'm retired and mostly live in shorts and a t-shirt, especially in toasty Texas, I'm used to pocket carrying or using a paddle holster ... when I got my first holster, for my Smith 637, I was amazing at how much easier it is to conceal the gun as opposed to the paddle I was using, and how the weight of the gun, light as it is, feels far lower with a sturdy belt distributing the weight than with the paddle ... I'm not going to convert completely, especially when I'm home and pocket carry makes so much sense ... but I'm sold on gunbelts now ... incidently, mine used to part of a cow and it cost -- I think -- about $70 ...
Old December 7, 2012, 08:36 PM   #17
MonsterB

Nate, try carrying a Sig 229 that way and let me know how it goes

I guess my point of the thread is that I have carried several ways for years, and even though I have invested in some decent holsters, I never bought a gun specific belt. I always read how much they help, but figured the what I thought was stiff dickies belt was good enough. The new galco I have is extremely thin, and very stiff vericaly but at the same time amazingly comfortable. Being so stiff, it really distiributes the weight of the gun, and even with a heave Sig, I find I dont even feel its presence. I cant imagine how good it must be with a smaller lighter gun. Moral of the story is spend a few bucks and get a carry specific belt, it is money very well spent.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:23 AM   #18
fivepaknh

It may just be my iPad, but Nate had pictures of a holster in sweatpants and I responded to that post. Now I can't see those pictures or my response. Was it deleted by a mod?
Old December 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

Having a good belt really does make a world of difference. I use an Aker B21. They're relatively inexpensive (~$50), and they don't scream "GUNBELT!" Given my normal mode of dress (which ordinarily includes a blazer even for casual wear), black nylon "duty gear" or the like just doesn't work for me. The Aker was a very good alternative. After about 1.5 years with it, I have no complaints.