The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Joey V.

Brenneke KO Slugs From a Rifled Barrel Range Report

I thought you all might find this helpful???

I have a Mossberg 500 rifled ported barrel without the cantilever scope mount so i shoot iron sights. Now being the end of the season I decided to freeze my butt off at the range and do a lil testing of rifled slugs from this rifled barrel not sabots. Much to my expectation the rifled slugs lead up the barrel real fast and destroy my accuracy. In addition, I found lead shaving sticking out of the ports on my barrel so the ports are acting like a cheese grater effect, I think. Much to my surprise this is a very accurate slug out of the rifled barrel for the first 5 shots. I was shooting a clover leaf group at 50 yrds from the bench rest and a lead sled for the first 4 rounds and then the fifth round landed about 1 inch high. That could have been me but all the rest of my rounds started to climb after the 5th. I think I had leaded the barrel so badly I was building up pressure causing the climb. I did take a couple of shots at 100yrds just to see what would happen and I had about a 6 inch group. For me that is unacceptable but my Pittsburgh PA hunting distance is about 50 yards anyway.

What I am going to do is clean the bore after every 4 rounds with lead solvent and shoot in this gun "clean" like I do with all of my rifles. I hate dirty sight-ins.... My hope / thought is it will shoot like a dream provided I keep it clean and will not have to pay $15 buck for 5 sabots!

I keep thinking why do I want to do this anyway?? Once the thing is sighted in the cost is not an issue. I am not going to plink with this at the range only fire a round or two each yr to insure I am sighted in and then maybe 2 to 3 rounds during the season....
Old January 7, 2011, 10:31 AM   #2
zippy13

Since you seem intent on using non-sabot slugs in a rifled barrel, you might consider something that isn't ribbed. If you're really looking for substantial savings, consider casting your own slugs and loading your own. Have you looked into the Lee slug molds? They claim their slugs, "outperforms rifled slugs in rifled slug barrels." It sounds like they had you in mind when developing their slugs. Since the Lee slug uses a conventional shot cup as a surrogate sabot, leading may be reduced.
Old January 7, 2011, 10:33 AM   #3
jmortimer

Brenneke rifled slugs shoot well in smooth bores but not at a level you want. Sounds like shooting them in a rifled barrel is a good option for you as I doubt you would need many follow-up shots with that kind of accuracy and killing power of the slug. Slug can be (very) accurate out to 100 yards.
Old January 7, 2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Joey V.

I did think about casting..

Zippy,

I did think about casting. I shoot a tone of lead and an a black powder type of guy. I buy so a whole lot of lead bullets and spend tons I could probably save a samll fortune learning to cast. I would love to have an caster tell me for sure how the lee made up slugs shoot??????

THX
Old January 7, 2011, 11:03 AM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
I would love to have an caster tell me for sure how the lee made up slugs shoot??????
We were sort of counting on you!
Old January 7, 2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Joey V.

Interesting option....

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/LBC...ctinfo/SSPP05/

LBC BluForce Sabot Package 12ga A picture link of it

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/LBC...tinfo/0721610/
Old January 7, 2011, 12:55 PM   #7
zippy13

I'm confused, 25 hulls + 25 BluForce sabots is $15.72; but, 25 sabots alone is $17.99. Something is missing.
Old January 7, 2011, 05:01 PM   #8
markj

Brenneke does make a slug for rifled barrels, they are not that much. You say shoot 3 or 4 slugs in a season and 15.00 is too much for 5? lot of work to save 5 or 6 bucks.
Old January 7, 2011, 06:08 PM   #9
pabuckslayer08

I fought the same things as you and eventually broke down and spend 60 bucks on 4 boxs of federal barnes sabots. Worth every penny. Went from 3 inch 50 yard groups to 2 inch 100 yard groups and 4 inch groups at 150 with very little drop. Barrel doesnt foul hardly at all, federal sabots are the only thing I will shoot at a deer. Oh yea and knock down power, they mushroom out like a flower and are about as big around as a golfball.
Old January 10, 2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Joey V.

No way guys :)

I am a realoader and it is my favorite passtime. I am not happy unless I know I did it all man!

Anyway I also found and ordered this http://slugsrus.com/store/handload.html

I talked to an old time that shoot the Lyman 525 grain 12g slug that looks like a pellet and it is a 3" grouper at 100yds. I think this is probaly what I will end up going with because you dont need a rool crip or anything you just crimp it like a shotgun shell and the pellet goes in a regular shotgun hull. simply cheap as heck and you dont have to realy on a company to stay in business to supply your special components!

Either of these options can be reloaded for less than a $1 a shot. I also like to shoot tons from all my guns at the range for practic and fun. So i will shoot many rounds in a year and $16 to $20 bucks for 5 rounds is not an option.
Old January 10, 2011, 11:52 AM   #11
jmortimer

Thanks for the link. Looks good as well as BPI. Have only heard good things about the Lyman 525 grain slug which does look like a pellet. Good reports from smooth bores as well with the Lyman slug.