The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 9, 2014, 07:36 AM   #1
dbuffington

Mauser Broomhandle ID?

Hi Folks!

A friend dropped of this beautiful Mauser Broomhandle -- Serial Number 288188 -- and shoulder stock/holster and wondered if I could give him any more information about it.

Alas, I'm mainly a Browning guy, not a military guy. So here are some photos ...

By the way, I haven't found a serial number on the holster. (Were they serialized?)

Any information you can add would be welcome. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks!
Dave
Old October 9, 2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Made sometime 1915-1921. Likely early in that period, a wartime commercial.

Somebody recently posted a rough looking Broomhandle with the stock iron numbered to the gun.
Old October 9, 2014, 08:14 AM   #3
dbuffington

Hi Jim!

I don't see any kind of numbering on the stock iron.

And to answer some other questions …

- The grips have 33 grooves, which doesn't seem to correspond to any of the counts in the Blue Book.

- The barrel is approximately 5 1/2 inches long.

Thanks!
Dave
Old October 9, 2014, 08:37 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

What caliber? It matters. Post-war to circumvent the Versailles Treaty some 9 mm were reworked to 30 Mauser.

From Breathed & Schroeder's book (p124-125), System Mauser, it appears to be a wartime commercial production with six grooves.

I suspect it has a short, wide extractor. Earlier C-96s had a long, narrow extractor. A photo would help.

Barrel markings too as well as a photo of the rear sight.

BTW, I suspect the stock and the harness are Chinese reproductions. They look too "fresh" to me. With respects to serial #s, the wood stocks were (to my knowledge) mated to their guns.

Last, from Charles Pate's book, The Broomhandle Mauser, 1896-1936, pages 90-91, from Serial #280,000 onward the hammers were marked NS (as yours does) and stands for Neue Sicherung (New Safety).
Old October 9, 2014, 09:46 AM   #5
dbuffington

> What caliber? It matters.

It's not marked, which strikes me as odd.

> I suspect it has a short, wide extractor. Earlier C-96s had a long, narrow extractor.

It's approximately 32 mm long, the main width is about 5 mm.

> A photo would help. Barrel markings too as well as a photo of the rear sight.

I'll try to do that tonight. The rear tangent-style sight is graduated from 50 to 1,000 meters.

Thanks!
Dave
Old October 9, 2014, 02:17 PM   #6
dbuffington

Here are the barrel markings, starting from the top and working around …

WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER
OBENDORF A/N
---
---
crown over "U" stamp
---
the letter "M"
a Star of David
the number "8"
and an ampersand "&"
---
crown over a symbol, possibly a stylized "D"
---
Old October 9, 2014, 03:46 PM   #7
NateKirk

Sexiest pistol ever made.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old October 9, 2014, 05:07 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf A/N is pretty standard. It means auf Neckar or "on the Neckar River"

Serial #280,000 started during Nov. 1915. Per Pate, the wartime commercial Mausers were 7.63 mm and could be sold without the stocks.

Military contract models had sights marked for 50 to 500 meters and the commercial model was 50-1000 meters.

It was not until Dec. 1917 that 9mm caliber guns were marked with the red 9. This was in response to confusion/ignorance of the user with the wrong ammunition.

That Star of David intrigues me. I can't find anything about it in my books. Pictures when you have a chance.
Old October 9, 2014, 05:55 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I have never seen a C96 with a caliber marking. Even the "Red 9" was marked on the grips, not on the gun itself.

That stock and harness are repros, and that raises a problem. Mausers, Lugers, and other pistols with shoulder stocks are exempt from the NFA ONLY if the stock is original, that is contemporary with the gun. An old C96 with a modern repro stock is still a short-barrel rifle and subject to the NFA. It is, realistically, not something BATFE gets worked up about, but it could be a problem if someone wants to make trouble.

Jim
Old October 9, 2014, 07:11 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

James is right in that calibers weren't marked on C-96s. Hence the need for the Red 9 on the grip. The Hans weren't that clever to figure out marking the caliber.

I'm still trying to find info on that Star of David.
Old October 9, 2014, 08:01 PM   #11
dbuffington

> That stock and harness are repros, and that raises a problem.

Understood. I will pass that along to the owner.

> I'm still trying to find info on that Star of David.

Alas, the owner picked up the gun this afternoon. So I can't photograph the Star of David, but you can see it on this Broomhandle that just sold on Gunbroker ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=445560376
Old October 10, 2014, 01:42 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

When turnover of personnel forces companies to go beyond the usual run of letters or numbers for inspection markings, they will turn to symbols. Common ones are a triangle, a hexagon, a five pointed star, a six pointed star, an anchor, a cross, a crescent, etc. For a comparison, the same type of symbolism is seen on railroad conductor's ticket punches.

The letters, numbers and symbols used have no meaning other than to identify the inspector involved. An example is the anchor marking seen on some Remington guns, mainly the Model 51 pistol, and the cross on some Ithaca guns. Some folks believe that the anchor indicates Navy issue, or that the cross has some religious significance. Neither is the case.

Jim
Old October 10, 2014, 02:01 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks James. I found nothing about the six pointed star in my books. I did see pictures of Russian sailors and broomhandles though. There's a reason why the "bolo" or short for bolshevik was called what it was.
Old October 10, 2014, 08:58 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

The C96 (and the variant "bolo") was used in a lot of countries, but AFAIK never formally adopted as standard by any of them. The Russians bought a lot of them, which is why they liked the cartridge and chambered their Tokarev pistols for it. Both pistols were in service together for many years, which is why claims that Tokarev ammo will blow up Mausers is a bit silly, as is the claim that Czech-made ammo for the VZ-52 will blow up Tokarevs.

For some strange reason, nations just don't issue ammo that will blow up their own or their allies' guns.

Jim