The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 9, 2012, 10:11 AM   #1
mduncan915

Holsters

I have a S&W Chief Special .45. Thought about trading, but have grown really attached, and some other members here helped me realize how great this gun is. I carry it every day, all day. I could forget my wallet, keys and wife before I forget my gun. Now that being said, I picked up a "Sticky Holster" when I purchased the gun. It is not a bad holster, but when you carry constantly, they wear out very quickly. I know they have a lifetime warranty, but I want something better. I have looked at Galco, Fobus, and a few others, but every time I do research, it is always the same, they just don't fit the CS45 correct. Generally too long. Any help would be appreciated. I want a good quality holster, that I will not have to take out a second mortgage to buy. ALSO I LIVE IN FLORIDA. Very hot and humid. I carry EVERYWHERE I legally can.
Old April 9, 2012, 11:42 AM   #2
gimike

holster

I just ordered a new combination belt/holster from http://www.abetterbeltusa.com I've had one of their belts for over a year, and it has been stellar.

Their new rig claims to be fully adjustable to fit any size pistol. Curiosity got me, and I had to order one.
Old April 18, 2012, 07:32 AM   #3
bigkahuna1019

Holster for you

I highly recommend Roughnecks Leather. Their holsters are hand made, of the highest quality and very very reasonable. I have purchased 3 from them so far. Their website is www.roughnecksleather.com. Their phone number is 323-801-8090, ask for Sam Manning and tell him Rick from New York State told you to call. They will make the holster specifically for your gun and, in the rare event you should have any issues whatsoever, they will make it right. Hope this helps. By the way, next week I'm ordering a fourth holster from them for my Taurus Judge. They also make gun cases and slings.
Old April 18, 2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Tommy Theis (http://theisholsters.com/index.php) makes a kydex/horsehide IWB for the Chief's Special in .40. I don't know what, if any, dimensional differences there are between the .40 and the .45, though. I use a Theis holster and have been very happy with it.
Old April 18, 2012, 10:29 PM   #5
knute

Hopp Leather & abetterbeltusa

Another vote for the abetterbeltusa.com belt. Great for the modest price. I'd be surprised if Hopp Custom Leather couldn't make you happy with one of his holsters. No website but you can find him on Face Book, Hopp Custom Leather. Still waiting for my double tuck horsehide, (just three weeks so far), should have it by the sixth week I'm hopeing. Al his work looks amazing along with the reviews on his page.
Old April 18, 2012, 11:55 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

belt holsters, styles...

If you want a simple belt rig for the compact S&W .45acp, I'd check these sources:
Kirkpatrick Leather, Galco, Mitch Rosen, Bulman Gunleather, Kramer Holsters, Blade-tech, Safariland, Don Hume, Alessi, Milt Sparks, Galco, HighNoon Holsters(a Tampa area company that has the Skin Tite line), COM Holsters.

A Kydex or polymer holster would do very well in Florida's hot, humid climate.
Many gunners like custom horsehide rigs but they are not cheap.
I do not care for the Fobus models but many like them.

ClydeFrog
Old April 23, 2012, 09:02 AM   #7
mduncan915

I met a guy that owns a leather shop, and he made me a custom tuckable holster for $45. Awesome.