The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 29, 2008, 04:47 PM   #1
kayakersteve

Let's talk tactics:

Hey guys and gals; For those of you that own your own land/range, what kind of targets or tacticle targets do you use. I am bored with my range - I have 0-25 yrd wood backstops for targets, 50 yard and 100 yard metal targets. I want to add more realistic pop up or training targets to simulate real life situations - cars, doors, walls, etc. Please share what ideas or targets you use. Pics would be great!
Old September 29, 2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Shawn Dodson

You want "tactics"? Forget static targets. Buy yourself a couple of airsoft pistols (and safety equipment) and engage in some realistic, force-on-force, gunfight training.

You'll quickly learn "tactics".
Old September 29, 2008, 07:25 PM   #3
David Armstrong

For something like that I suggest two things:
Go to a good-sized IPSC or IDPA match. They usually have lots of different props, targets, etc.
Look at what the various target manufacturers have. Action Target, Mike Gibson, and others have a lot of designs for you to look at and then meybe think about.

Last edited by David Armstrong; September 30, 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old September 29, 2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

kayakersteve

Congrads on having your own range. One of the things that I find important in my range training to keep for being stale is to make each training secession WORTH something.

Weather I am practicing Serious Social Work stuff on my little piece of haven or shooting meatball targets at the Spokane range I have a on-demand target that I require perfection. If I miss it costs me $5.00 a miss (a lot of money for me) and I must pay dear Brenda upon entering the house with said target. One of my shooting coaches laid this on me and I does keep it interesting!!!!

I have standard revolver maintenance drills that are must do each and every time, past that I look for other persons nightmares to recreate. One easy way is to recreate the TACTICS page from Combat Handguns each month. Another easy fix is to change the blading of the targets from straight on to 10 % blading. Take you paper targets and pooch (round) them
so that they seem 3-D. Put some old cloths on your IPSC target. There are lost of low-tec ways to re-peak your focus on standard targets.

I have made some very low cost movers, and these are always challenging for me.

Hope you find what you are looking for, Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 30, 2008, 03:50 PM   #5
threegun

I'm more inclined to be the one moving. When you get proficient at hitting while you are moving, the rest is easy.

I believe that movement, when cover is not available, is vital to staying alive. This belief was confirmed by friends and TFL members who said that remaining static in FOF training almost always led to getting killed. I would add shoot on the move drills to my practice. Start from different positions and move in all directions....the sky is the limit. Make your own scenarios based on probabilities given your lifestyle. Be safe.
Old September 30, 2008, 04:32 PM   #6
kayakersteve

Here's what I tried tonight

I shot at targets from my '74 bronco while moving trying to simulate having to shoot from a moving vehicle - This is tougher than you might think - Here is a pic of my Bronco:

Old September 30, 2008, 05:31 PM   #7
threegun

Try running parallel, backward, forward and at angles. Increase your speed as your hits get tight in center mass. Try it one handed and run the same drill both weak and strong hand.
Old September 30, 2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Scattergun Bob

kayakersteve

Shooting from a moving ANYTHING is very tough. I was not very sucessful with handguns from a car, scatterguns worked OK.

If you have intrest in this, Ed McGriven has a lot to say about shooting from a vehicle.

By and By, I am good to go with a pistol from a horse, but never try it from a old race horse, you truly can not teach a old race horse NEW tricks. Ground gets harder the older you get.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old October 3, 2008, 08:57 PM   #9
Ohio Rusty

There is a hill behind the house in the woods. I have put a target inside of a Bicycle tire and rim and rolled it down the hill shooting at the bullseye to simulate a moving target. It actuallt started as a way to hit rabbits. If you have a place that you won't have a ricochet problem, popping ballons running along the ground on a windy day is alot of fun.
Moving targets force you to remember the rules of lead, target acquisition, etc.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Old October 3, 2008, 11:37 PM   #10
Striker071

Clay pigeons..... shotgun... moving targets ... enough said
Old October 4, 2008, 01:02 AM   #11
Slopemeno

I think USPSA has course designs on it's website. Download some, buy a PACT timer (or whatever the hot setup is these days) and some IPSC targets and go to it. A steel table and five bowling pins can also be a blast too.
Old October 4, 2008, 06:10 AM   #12
kayakersteve

Great ideas - Thanks to all.

Appreciate the ideas
Old October 4, 2008, 08:09 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Got ducats? There's a radio controlled platform on wheels that can hold one of those dueltron target manikin. Can't afford that? Get a radio control car and tie a ballon on it. Have someome operate the tank.

Oh, on those cardboard targets. Drape a t-shirt (or half a t-shirt) over them. Harder to see the clean holes (just like a real target).
Old October 4, 2008, 08:14 AM   #14
jmorris

go to the link below and there are some moving/reactive targets on the 2nd or 3rd page.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/
Old October 8, 2008, 01:20 AM   #15
imp

+1 Shawn

You can rig up a few cardboard swinger targets like I have, which is OK, but nothing can compare to live, force on force training. I go for paintball over airsoft, just because it hurts worse ( actually being afraid to be hit is an invaluable training aid) as well as instant feedback as to whether or not you have a confirmed hit.