The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 20, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1
stargazer65

Life Jacket gun lock

Any thoughts on this product? I am looking at getting one in the LJ3 version to keep my HD shotgun safe from UA use when I can't be right there with it. I am looking for something easy to install and remove, but difficult to defeat. (For example the trigger lock I have is the opposite, difficult to install and remove, but any kid with a a small spanner wrench or with a hammer could bust it off.)
Old April 20, 2009, 10:48 PM   #2
chris in va

I see no one has responded, so here's my .02.

It still uses keys. Unless you keep those keys locked up somewhere (redundant in my book) then it's pretty much useless. Plus in a 'situation' it may be rather difficult finding them to unlock the sucker.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Housezealot

I posted this in another thread yesterday I should add that I lightly score the pipe hanger inside the curve
Quote:
I have a solution that I seems to work for me having small children, I mounted a set of these
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...-LW-00101-.jpg
on the inside of my closet over the door with my mossberg 500 set inside like a gun rack and zip tied to the hangers, the gun cant be racked that way and is up high but a swift jerk snaps the hangers at the bottom of the curve and the gun is ready to go, the hangers are only a couple of dollars a piece so you can practice to make sure it works for you, my wife had a hard time snapping them first try but no problem at all for a 200 pound male. also If I am awake I have a pistol on my hip.
all though I guess any kid old enough to be trying to defeat the lock with a wrench and a hammer would eaisly over come it, sorry I should have read your post more carefully
Old April 24, 2009, 02:34 AM   #4
Pakfront1940

I have the LifeJacket for my AR and the biggest problem I have with it is that the version I have at least you have to remove the optics first, which could throw off the zero. But I ,when I get a safe, will probably put the jacket on and store in safe but for now I just have a lock on my case.
Old April 24, 2009, 06:36 AM   #5
stargazer65

Thanks for posting. I would say the main question I have about this product now is its toughness compared to other price comparable options I may not know about. Assuming I have one shotgun to lock up, but I don't have the space or money for a safe at this time, is this my best bet for under 40 bucks?