The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 08:21 AM   #26
bumnote

If they planned on dividing it up, I don't think they would have taken it out of the back store room. Probably just a lazy employee who didn't want to do anything but take a break or go home. I've had similar experiences at Walmart during 'normal' times. Apparently 3 feet can be a long walk sometimes...
Old March 12, 2013, 08:39 AM   #27
BerdanSS

Quote:
He's probably been given orders to ration ammo. Most retailers are doing that now.

Yes they are, but if the OP is repeating everything exactly how it happened.... that's not rationing.....it's an employee being a stinking liar who appears to be trying to cheat the system.

The system being they are a retail chain and ALL of their products should be out for sale to the public at the corporate set price....first come first serve.

Or.....what bumnote said. I do my absolute BEST to only use walmart as a LAST resort shopping center for anything. I just went and paid almost $7 more for a set of dust covered sling swivels at a local bait and tackle shop, just to not buy them at walmart.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:00 AM   #28
Willie Sutton

^^

Occims Razor applied: It's probably the simplest of all reasons.

Since this seems to be done at multiple stores, they are likely putting out a little each day after getting shipments, so they have "something to sell" daily v/s having it all go out on Day-1.

Never attribute to conspiracy what you can write off to ineptitude.

Willie

Old March 12, 2013, 09:08 AM   #29
globemaster3

A little reinforcement to what some have said:

Last night I went into WalMart to get a couple things for the wife and cruised through the sporting goods section as always. The typical empty shelves for ammo abounded.

However, 1 gent was engaging the guy behind the counter (who happened to be a vet and NRA member) about the ammo delivery. Seems the gent knew the time of the ammo delivery and was there to scoop it up. Before I walked away, the single gent was joined by 2 more, the discussion dominated by what ammo was being delivered.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old March 12, 2013, 10:02 AM   #30
gaseousclay

Quote:
However, 1 gent was engaging the guy behind the counter (who happened to be a vet and NRA member) about the ammo delivery. Seems the gent knew the time of the ammo delivery and was there to scoop it up. Before I walked away, the single gent was joined by 2 more, the discussion dominated by what ammo was being delivered.
you'd think that if stores were rationing ammo sales to customers they'd also tell employees not to divulge delivery times of said ammo.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:27 AM   #31
dajowi

All the shenanigans going on at Walmart, Dicks, Gander Mountain etc, etc. seems more like low comedy than anything else.

Websites devoted to the ammo/gun issue as they relate to these retailers with such names as: "Ammo of Walmart," "Take a gander at Gander," or perhaps "Shafted by Dick's" would be quite informative.

I'm really glad that I reload and don't have to deal with this nonsense.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:57 AM   #32
zincwarrior

Aren't reloading supplies also scarce now also?
Old March 12, 2013, 11:04 AM   #33
Cramer1

Re: Interesting somewhat disturbing experience at Wally World this morning

Im having a hard time finding anything.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:50 PM   #34
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If they planned on dividing it up, I don't think they would have taken it out of the back store room.
1. Not sure if they have a lock up in the back room for ammo.
2. Maybe hiding it up front for friends, and relatives to buy.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 14, 2013, 10:36 PM   #35
Will Beararms

The employees are buying it up. I had one tell me that he is doing just that. I was told be in the store and at the counter right at 7:00 am.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:08 PM   #36
WIN1886

Quote:
Aren't reloading supplies also scarce now ?

Yes , I might be waiting awhile just to get small rifle primers !
Old March 15, 2013, 02:05 AM   #37
Come and take it.

They restock the shelves at our Walmart after 10:00 P.M.

I asked one guy about the ammo and he said they only get a small amount (no more than a shopping cart full of ammo when it comes in) a few minutes later I overheard him talking to some of the other employees about my questions and they were giggling. Lot of guys were stocking the shelves at walmart that night.

I wonder if they could be splitting up the ammo before it ever hits the sporting goods department.

The man I talked to confessed to having a good stock of ammo at home.

Perhaps it is just me. i get suspicious very easily.
Old March 15, 2013, 02:42 AM   #38
gc70

I asked a clerk at a local Walmart about ammo deliveries and restocking. He flatly told me that .22/9mm/.45 ammo had not been brought out to the shelves for over a month and was being sold in the back, but has was not allowed to sell any ammo from the back.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:09 AM   #39
Skans

The way the OP described the counter-jockey's responses, it seems to me that there is a good possibility that Walmart employees have a side ammo business going on for their own gain. It might not even be the counter-jockey; could be a higher manager or even the GM.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:23 AM   #40
Double Naught Spy

Or not. That assumes that just because something isn't fully understood by the OP that it must be nefarious (side business) and there isn't information there to justify such a claim. Other realistic possibilities have been suggested that would be equally justified given the information known.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:47 AM   #41
Come and take it.

I talked to a lady this morning that works there and they said they receive the shipments late at night but are instructed not to put it out on the shelves until 7am. She didn't know why?

I figure that is so that everyone who works there and their cousin can get their pickings before it makes it to the floor.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:40 AM   #42
noelf2

If people would stop buying the overpriced scalped ammo, and wait a few months, the shelves would fill back up. Glad I reload, and have plenty of cases, powders, and bullets. If I didn't, I would only be shooting black powder until this whole mess settles down. I will not buy from ammo scalpers.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:08 PM   #43
zincwarrior

Quote:
I talked to a lady this morning that works there and they said they receive the shipments late at night but are instructed not to put it out on the shelves until 7am. She didn't know why?

I figure that is so that everyone who works there and their cousin can get their pickings before it makes it to the floor.
Not likely. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I worked at similar big box stores. They would routinely get shipments at night. It wouldn't be put out onto the floor until the next day or two or not at all (just routed to a different sectionin back corresponding to that department). Different crews.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:44 PM   #44
Newton24b

it comes in the truck, when it comes, at 2-3 pm if truck has no issues

unloading crew pulls it out
as ammo is a regulated product it is locked up in back
ammo stays in back until management wants it out.

the idea is that if employees have no idea of when it comes out, they cant have anyone waiting to buy ammunition.

the ammo restrictions is STORE WIDE. not by individual stores. it sucks.

but there is alot of irregularities happening with peoples friends
Old March 16, 2013, 11:20 AM   #45
smokiniron

Which WalMart?

Utah Hunting.... If you don't mind, which WalMart was mis-managing it's ammo allocations? I live in Utah and would like to watch for this nonsense.

Thanks!
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old March 16, 2013, 12:13 PM   #46
danez71

I knew a guy that was into collection Hotwheels.

Apparently, every carton or case has a special collectable in it. It may be just a certain different color or something.

He would pay an employee to hide a couple cases until he came in. They'd go to the back, pullout the case, open it.... and he'd grab the one he wanted.

It wouldnt surprise me if something similar was happening. Pay an employee to keep some boxes out of view until he comes in to buy.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:54 PM   #47
kilimanjaro

Buddy of mine was a WalMart manager up here, when the Hot Wheels came in, the sight of a dozen grown men running down the aisle like a bunch of kids to grab their favorite, was a weekly treat for him.

Says the ammo issue is supply is low, demand is high, and when 15 people are standing in line at 7:00 am for the new stock, even just 3 boxes each kills the store supply for another week.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:45 PM   #48
wmg1299

I fully understand the 3 box limit, but I cannot stand the fact that the ammo is stocked at set times when only hoarders and resellers are available to purchase it. All of my local Wal Mart employees openly tell anyone who asks that the ammo is stocked between 7 am and 8 am on the day it arrives. This makes it nearly impossible for any normal 9-5 worker (which these days means 8-6) to ever get ammo. I don't mind the ration, but I wish they would stock some ammo at lunchtime and some ammo in the evening, or at least vary the schedule a little bit.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:55 PM   #49
Come and take it.

It is funny that it comes out at 7 in the mornings. Perfect for someone running a business selling ammo.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:09 AM   #50
rlc323

I can see how the WalMart employees have let this go to their heads a bit. No offense to anyone who works at WalMart intended here. I respect anyone who is willing to get out there and earn a check, instead of getting one from the government.

But honestly, the job there at WalMart is surely day after day of pure drudgery. Then all of a sudden they have something that people are really wanting (ammo) so the power goes to their head and they make some poor decisions.

I can forgive them for helping out their pals by calling them when ammo comes in, or holding back a few boxes. These WalMart workers sure don't make much money, so let them have a little glory for now. When they run out of ammo to stock these days, you know they are soon sent over to fill the TP shelves.