The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 10, 2023, 08:22 PM   #1
Greybeard Classic

25-06 supressor?

My 25-06 with a 20" barrel has a terrific muzzle blast, I swear the percussive shockwave blinds me for nearly a full second. The end of the barrel is threaded for a supressor, so it was obvious with the previous owner. I was looking at videos concerning supressors and figured I needed one in the 30 caliber size, but I don't want a super long supressor and my question is, what is a decent quality 30 cal supressor for the money? I'm on a tight fixed income so I'm probably looking at the lower end of the decent ones...

P.S.- I will ignore replies about oil filters, etc... lol.

Last edited by Greybeard Classic; December 10, 2023 at 08:29 PM.
Old December 10, 2023, 08:31 PM   #2
Sharkbite

You are going to need to contact some suppressor manufacturing companies. See what the uncorking pressure of the 25-06 round is.

I doubt a can rated for 308win will do it. You probably need a can rated for 300win mag to do what you want, but thats a guess.
Old December 10, 2023, 09:47 PM   #3
GeauxTide

You'd do better and cheaper by getting a 24" barrel. ERShaw makes great barrels.
Old December 11, 2023, 01:37 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The end of the barrel is threaded for a supressor, so it was obvious with the previous owner.
The end of the barrel is threaded for something....possibly a suppressor, perhaps a muzzle brake, which can redirect a significant portion of the muzzle blast away from the shooter and doesn't require Federal paperwork and possibly months of waiting.

The length of the "can" will change the feel of the muzzle blast, certainly, but I doubt you'll get full efficiency from a .30 cal suppressor shooting a subcaliber (.25) bullet.

Anytime you light off an 06 case volume of powder from a short barrel, you will get a tremendous muzzle blast.

I suggest you talk with people who make suppressors and see what they think of shooting a .25 out of a .30 and what they might recommend, instead.

Also remember that anything you hang on the end of the barrel is going to affect the way the barrel vibrates, and can change the way the rifle shoots.
Old December 11, 2023, 01:34 PM   #5
dogtown tom

.25-06 needs at least a 6.5mm can....which is a pretty limited field vs the selection of .30/7.62 cans.

https://www.silencershop.com/silence...er_rating=3096
vs
https://www.silencershop.com/silence...2mm-rifle.html

The most popular 7.62 silencer for me over the last year have been:
Dead Air Sandman S
Dead Air Nomad
OSS/Huxwrx Flow
Silencerco Omega

Pretty much every .30/7.62 is rated for .300WinMag

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 11, 2023, 06:42 PM   #6
taylorce1

Cheapest suppressor I know of is a Witt Machine suppressors . They'll cost you around $500 with stamp. I've never used one, my .30 cal suppressor is an Omega 300.
Old December 11, 2023, 07:00 PM   #7
MarkCO

6.5 Suppressors work well with the 25-06. And NO, you won't need a 300 WinMag can. Besides, most decent suppressor manufacturers are going to rate their can for something at the top end, pretty easy to figure out.

First things first, you need to figure out what your muzzle is threaded. There are common ones, but there are also companies that make adapters, even ones that will "jail break" a can to change the mount geometry. I had my A2 muzzle brake can changed the a 1/2x28.

6.5 Suppressors range from about 5" to 9" in length, from 9 ounces to a little over a pound and $400 to $1600. You also need the $200 tax stamp.

I've shot a Witt Dirty 30, they work well for what they are. I own a different Witt, a few Thunderbeast, and the Ultra 5 is excellent, but much higher priced.

Unless you want to also suppress a 30 cal, I'd stick with the 6.5 as it will be more efficient for the quarter bore.
Old January 12, 2024, 09:56 PM   #8
JustJake

I know a dude who hunts 'yotes with a 25-06 with a 30-cal can. The barrel is a Shilen match grade, cut to 22" and threaded for a AAC SDN-6 can.
Old January 19, 2024, 01:35 AM   #9
Txhillbilly

I use 30 cal suppressor's on everything from 223 to 300 WM. A 0.080" of an inch difference in the size of the hole doesn't make as much difference in the sound as the extra gas volume that a 30 cal suppressor has over a smaller caliber suppressor.
Old February 6, 2024, 05:08 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I bought my first supressor last year... a SilencerCo Omega 36m

Yes, pricey... but it costs so much and takes so long to get one, I wanted to make sure it was worth it. The sense throwing good money after bad.

I couldn't be happier. I have so far only used it on two guns. A Tikka T3x Superlight chambered in 7mm-08 and a custom built AR chambered in 6mm ARC.

It is phenomenally awesome on both. The pencil barrel of the Tikka does bend "a little"... about 6" low at 100 yards but the nearly 1" diameter 16" long Arc barrel doesn't shift POI at all, as far as I can tell.

Suppression is amazing. By far the loudest sound from the Arc is the action cycling. I don't have measuring equipment but it's noticeably quieter than my 10/22.
Does not cause ringing ears with the 7mm-08 either.

I have only the 36cal end cap.

I'm not usually a "if you just spend a little more money..." kind of guy, but in this case, I say wait until you can get one worth buying.

I shot a fox with the Arc a couple weeks, out my sliding glass door. My wife and son were sitting right there within 15 feet. My son didn't realize I had fired a gun and my daughter, directly at the top of the stairs in her room, didn't know anything happened. My wife, who jumps when you swat a fly with a flyswatter, didn't even flinch.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 6, 2024 at 05:13 PM.