The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 16, 2016, 02:46 PM   #26
black mamba

My interests in handgun shooting are primarily for hunting, so I do shoot at the longer ranges (out to 100 yards). Being 61, my eyes aren't what they used to be, so I use red dot sights on both my 629 Classic and Raging Bull revolvers. I'm able to shoot sub 4" groups at 100 yds. rested, and would not shoot beyond that distance. Offhand I'm only good to about half that distance. Practice leads to knowing your limitations, which leads to less heartache in the hunting woods.
Old July 16, 2016, 02:54 PM   #27
rep1954

I do most of my handgun shooting at 25 yards off hand standing when shooting at my local lgs. When I go to the DNR outdoor range close to my home the back stop is a 125 ft. sand dune with 25yd, 50yd, 100yd distance. I always spend a little time at the 100yd, and 25yd distance. I spend spend most of my time plinking at cans, hunks of wood, and whatever things people have left behind. Also it's fun to take some clay pigeons along for 50yd shooting.
Old July 16, 2016, 03:00 PM   #28
Pep in CA

Personally, I bought my handgun for SD/HD so I practice accordingly. Same with my shotgun.

My practice routine at the range begins with pistol target shooting for accuracy at 7 yds (where my range has target holders). Then I setup a silhouette target at 20 yds.. I shoot my pistol and my shotgun at the silhouette target from various stances, including crouching, kneeling, and simulated shooting from behind a barricade.

As a defensive shooter, I am interested in developing speed, but of course accuracy is always important.

Being able to hit a 200 yd. target with my pistol would be a nice skill to have, but I would rather put my time, money, and effort into tactical skills.
Old July 16, 2016, 05:01 PM   #29
BigJimP

I practice with my handguns ..primarily as tactical defense guns...so between 5 and 10 yds...occasionally out to 15 and 20yds....( always drawing from a holster...and with a time standard to add a little stress to the skill ..and reloads, clearing malfunctions, etc.../ and I do that because most of the experts talk about Defensive situations being relatively close encounters...from 3 Feet to 24 Feet mostly.

I just have no interest in bulls eye shooting long distances with a handgun ...or a rifle for that matter....to me its boring / while I recognize there is some skill involved in terms of trigger control...I wouldn't spend much time at long distances with handguns even if a range was readily available.
Old July 16, 2016, 05:37 PM   #30
rob-c

well when I take the 9.5 barreled SRH I go out to 100 yards all the time, my wife shoots her 6 inch GP-100 to 75, both hunting guns with red dots. but when we are shooting his and hers lcr 38+p's its 15 yards and down. I would shoot longer but the club we shoot at is a 100 yard range...
Old July 16, 2016, 08:10 PM   #31
James K
Member In Memoriam

I wouldn't worry a lot about what the experts say or what someone advises. If you have the chance, shoot your handguns at long ranges, up to 200 yards and beyond simply to know what they are capable of at those distances. Few of us will get anything like the fabulous 600 yard revolver shot made by Elmer Keith, but some hits at 100 yards with a handgun will do a lot for your confidence and let you know that such shots are possible if you need to take them.

For most folks, a handgun is, almost by definition, an emergency weapon; given the choice, we would have a rifle or a .50 HB (or a bus ticket out of there). So you should know what the weapon you will be carrying is capable of.

Jim
Old July 16, 2016, 08:40 PM   #32
NoSecondBest

Handguns don't have to be a close or long range thing. They're simply guns and can be adapted or applied to the interest and needs of the shooter. There's simply no reason why it's better or more suited to one or the other. I shot competition for years at steel plates and did very, very well at it. It was speed shooting at various sized close targets out to thirty-five yards (depending on the event). I also shot long range silhouette out to 200 yards and did equally well at that. I've hunted big game with a handgun for forty years and I've shot deer out to 167 yards with the handgun. It's called different strokes for different folks. It's one tool with multiple purposes. I carry a handgun for self defense, I use a handgun for hunting and long range target shooting. I use different handguns for each scenario. Step back and take in the whole view.
Old July 17, 2016, 12:56 AM   #33
HiBC

To each their own.

I understand what is going on when someone is shooting at 7 yds.I don't disrespect them.

I think maybe a lot of people reject bullseyes and long range shooting because they might not be gratifying. Missing is not good for the ego.

I make no claim to being a good shot.I'm getting old,blind,and shaky.

But if you put a balloon or a dinger out at 300 yds and hand me a snubbie 44 spl ,heck yeah,I'll shoot at it.
You can't make the shot if you don't take the shot.

And there are those times when I'm just good enough to get lucky.
Some days"The Force is with me"

I've had a lot of fun with a buddy who would watch me line up on a ridiculous shot,like a pop can at 100 yds shooting a PA-63 offhand,and he would say "There's no way" That day,one time,I got lucky with a first round hit.
The moments after the hit are priceless.I usually sneer quite well,look him upand down,etc.

Looking at a large hill,hundreds of yards,calling the shot on rocks and whacking them with a .44 mag is far from boring.

It works toward having confidence with the handgun like an old longbowman knew his bow.
Old July 17, 2016, 06:09 AM   #34
Mike / Tx

Growing up we didn't do much of what folks today call target shooting or plinking. We did shoot a few times a year but usually that was to work up a load or to get ready for hunting season. We also didn't have but one revolver in the house and that was an old Colt Army 38 SPL. My pop however could put a 158gr RN into the neck of a cotton tail just about anywhere we might have found one, or make a feather duster out of a crow with it. He knew the revolver and load and knew it well. My goal was always to be as good as him.

Nowadays I have a full collection of things to play with, but my overall favorite for the past 25+years has been my 41 magnum. I know it like my pop knew the Colt 38. I have quite a few one shot kills on hogs out past 100yds with it and couldn't count the ones from 50yds down. It simply works. My oldest grandson has now got the bug and we tried it out at 150yds not long ago. Rested over one of the single stick type rest we managed to put a few rounds on this 20" plate at 150yds. Mine were grouped to the left and the 14yr old grandsons were scattered about.

I think he did a very good job being it was the first time he had shot the thing.

While I realize that there are many folks who can do a LOT better, and many who would not dream of such stunts with a handgun I practice this sort of thing with them all from time to time. My smaller pistols are shot out to 50yds as a general rule and my revolvers usually start at 50 with known loads and go out from there. I have my own property where I can stretch them out to 600 should I really want to but I keep things within normal hunting parameters. I want to know that if I draw down on a hog or even a deer at 200 or less yards I will hit within a small margin of error just where i am aiming.

As for the up close part of it, I do that as well. I am MUCH more confident in hitting a small area quickly at say 10yds after practicing at 25, and something as close as 7 or so is hardly a task at all. Again, I am nothing special but I learned to use my ammo sparingly, and to make each and every shot count as if it were my last. Just the way I was brought up.

I do not discount the ability of anyone. If I am shooting with someone who is having a hard time with things I will try my best to help them out. These days I do put a LOT more rounds downrange than I did growing up and I use that time to make sure I am working on the right way to get them where they should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41 Disc.jpg (160.4 KB, 273 views)
Old July 17, 2016, 08:24 AM   #35
Don P

Quote:
And going longer than 10 meters or so serves no functional purpose.
For you that's great. Anyone that chooses to limit themselves to a short distance as this is crippling themselves. One never knows at what distance you may have to engage a target. A grand-master that I shoot with states this, practice easy and never improve your shooting skills with respect to difficulty. Practice hard and you will improve. We always have targets out to 30 meters plus. My thought is, if you can hit and shoot well at 30 plus meters then 10 meters is a snap.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 17, 2016, 09:05 AM   #36
kraigwy

Years ago, in the late 70s or 80s they started IHMSA in the Anchorage area, shooting I believe 50-200 yards.

I gave it a shot trying weird stuff until I decided to shoot it with my Service Revolver, a 4 in Model 28, using LSWC rounds (Lyman 358477), which was my duty ammo.

It wasn't the best gun for IHMSA, but it sure helped me with my shorter range shooting.

I just can't see how long range pistol shooting can hurt you, if forces you to concentrate on fundamentals which we seem to neglect in close range shooting.

It gave me confidence in my revolver and my shooting.

I've been neglecting my revolver shooting lately. I use to use a Model 64 in USPSA, and was fairly good with it. But I tried to compete with the younger crowd in speed, meaning I went to my Berretta w/its 18 round mags.

The only time I shot my revolver this last winter was in my SD classes which was mostly point shooting.

Then comes my yearly LEOSA qualification. I normally out shoot those retirees using pistols. Not this year, I qualified, but with the worst score I've shoot in years. I just didn't apply the fundamentals, the concentration wasn't there.

Say what you want about the need of long range shooting, but I'm going back to practicing LR and getting back to fundamentals.

I'm going back to my revolver for USPSA, I'll be 69 at my next match, I cant keep up with the youngsters anyway, so I'm gonna go back and concentrate on hits instead of speed. I'll still me competitive in my Super Senior Class.

(wish they'd come up with a different name for that class)
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 17, 2016, 09:25 AM   #37
g.willikers

I've mentioned this before, but since it definitely applies to this conversation, here it is again.
A military policeman is riding around the base on his bicycle and gets a call about an active shooter at the hospital.
Pedaling as fast as he can and armed with just his service pistol, he arrives to see a guy with a rifle shooting up the place.
The guy sees him, too, and from 75 yards distance they engage.
The MP wins.
Seems like a good enough reason to practice long distance, doesn't it.
The story was aired on a popular podcast interview with the MP awhile back.
It's no doubt still in their archives if anyone wants to hear it.
If anyone is interested, speak up and I'll try to find it.
Old July 17, 2016, 09:44 AM   #38
SauerGrapes

I spend some time shooting my carry gun @ 25yds. Not because I plan on engaging a threat @ that distance, but it sure is nice to know I can if I have to. You might not have a way out.

I'm all for getting out of my comfort zone and stretching my shooting ability.
Trying to double tap @ 25yds is fun and a challenge. I like to switch it up. Punching paper @ 10yds gets boring. I still do it, but with variations.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old July 17, 2016, 12:32 PM   #39
HiBC

I guess by "long range" I was thinking open ranch land,with hundreds of yards for options and a lot of informal targets.

For those who consider 25 to 50 yds long range

I'll agree,for most SD situations,calling these distances SD is questionable.

I can appreciate focusing time and ammo on the 95 % scenario.

IMO,we are seeing a different generation of threat these days.Yes,train for the up close robbery or assault.

But in a scenario of mass killing,think about it.A mega-church,a movie theatre,a nightclub,a long hallway,an outdoor venue.A large restaurant.

Its not a focused crime of passion on one victim.Its a body count.

The ability to place a CNS shot at 25 yds or solid COM vitals hits at 50 yds might be crucial.

When Colorado first allowed handgun big game hunting,we had to qualify by shooting a 10 in target at 50 yds 4 of 6 shots.With just a little practice,6 out of 6 became routine/easy.

Take a look at the black bullseye on the 25 yd pistol targets.Yes,the 10 ring and the X ring demand pretty darn good shooting.

But reasonable competence with the basics should yield a high percentage in the black.And remember bullseye shooters shoot one handed standing,unsupported. Two handed,braced against a barricade,being able to confidently hit a milk jug or cantaloupe at 25 yds is a reasonable skill lever to
maintain with many carry guns.

The capability of 30 yard stopping shots is,IMO,potentially vital today...and,I am afraid,more so tomorrow.
Old July 17, 2016, 02:47 PM   #40
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've shot deer with my 15" Encore out to around 175 yards.

The trouble we humans tend to have is thinking outside our own realities. We think that if we need it everyone else does too or if we don't then they don't either.

We don't all live the same lives. Some of us will never *need* to shoot anything at any distance. Some of us will use our handguns at hundreds of yards. It isn't right or wrong or smart or foolish. It's just different.
Old July 17, 2016, 03:47 PM   #41
Radny97

I was out 4-wheeling the other day and decided to take a pot shot at a jack rabbit at about 50 yards with my 3 inch revolver. Missed it by about 2 inches. Made me want to practice long range hand gun shooting more.
Agree whole heartedly that long range shooting does help solidify the fundamentals (especially of sight picture) and that it may have application for active shooter applications as stated above.
Old July 17, 2016, 08:12 PM   #42
mikejonestkd

Just got back from the range and we were busting clays with iron sighted handguns at 125 yards. We were shooting off sandbags on the bench, using a 6" smith 686, a Ruger Gp-100 match champion, a Buckmark target, and a 7 3/8" smith 41.

No, we didn't hit them often, but we sure scared the heck out of them once we dialed in the range.

My smith 41 was able to hit 3 clays with one mag, so I declared victory and called it a day.
Old July 17, 2016, 10:10 PM   #43
RoughDivider

I don't do long distance for two reasons

1) my indoor range is only 25 yards max
2) I don't have the cash to enjoy the long distance ranges near me unfortunately.

I can make accurate shots out to 25 yards and that's good for me, I train for self defense. If I wanted long range hand gunning I'd get a long barreled revolver of some sort to play around with. Also after 25 yards in a self defense situation id try to assess if running were an option if the BG is armed otherwise if he's not and has some sort of physical weapon I'd be running the heck out of there. And if he was armed if probably want something more substancial than my handgun.
Old July 18, 2016, 09:26 AM   #44
g.willikers

^^^
Unfortunately, that's often the case with many of us.
But a suitably smallish target at 25 yards will provide the skill, practice and confidence that's necessary for the longer shots, too.
Old July 18, 2016, 10:04 AM   #45
Don P

^^^^ Look at what Appleseed does with their rifle course at 25 yards. A postage size target at 25 yards simulates a 200 yard shot. So all of us can shoot at 100-200 yard distances on a 25 yard range. All in the size of your target
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 18, 2016, 11:21 AM   #46
44 AMP
Staff

I think everyone who can, should try their hand at long(er) range handgun shooting. If only to show you what you can, and cannot do. And, so you don't get stuck in a rut.

A couple of examples, one fictional, one real,

TV show Justified: Night: bad guy has just dug a grave to bury his dog. Hero shows up to take him in. Hero's gun holstered. Bad guy is big knife guy, has mentioned a couple times earlier about the "21foot rule" (supposed distance where knife guy can get to you before you can draw and get him). Tells hero about the "rule", hero basically says "we'll see" or something like that. Bad guy charges, hero starts to draw....

Hero never finishes his draw, as bad guy falls into open grave, falls on his knife, dies.

Real world:
Friend of mine was a bow hunter. Practiced all summer of the 40 yard shot (long range). Got really good. That fall, buck at 25yds, he shoots, misses. Shot right over him.

The point is, when you practice just one thing, you get good at it, BUT that thing might not be the right thing for a given situation. Fictional bad guy was so focused on his "drill" he forgot about the hole in the ground between him and his target.

My friend the bow hunter, practiced his long range shot a lot, and unconsciously held for that shot, when the deer was much closer, and missed, because of it.

For all the exclusive 7 yard speed shooters out there, you're probably right, and what you practice for is probably what you will need, if you ever need it. BUT, Murphy has a dark sense of humor, and the odds are a coin toss whether the skill you practice will be the one needed. I can's see where at least some practice at longer range isn't useful.
Old July 18, 2016, 12:03 PM   #47
g.willikers

If your bowhunting friend had attended 3D matches, with the targets at unmarked distances, he would be better prepared.
Same for the action type gun games; the targets are all at unmarked distances.
Old July 18, 2016, 12:58 PM   #48
K_Mac

G.willikers I always know at what range I'm shooting, or at least where I start when moving. Starting and shooting at random distances is a great idea. Thanks.
Old July 18, 2016, 02:49 PM   #49
Reloader54

Long Distance Handgun

I run and shoot in Hunter Pistol Silhouette/Cowboy Lever Action matches at my gun club. And we shoot at distances from 40mm out to 100mm for .22lr and center fire pistol calibers. And from 50mm out to 200mm for rifle calibers. And we do have some shooters that do shoot pistols that are chambered is rifle calibers. I do practice shooting most of my pistols any where from 11yds out to 300yds. And I also hit at 300yds with my .22lr pistol as well. And I do get people looking at me when I do it. And it's fun to do it. But it also depends on what I'm practicing for when I do shoot out at long distances. But it does raise some eye brows when I hit the targets at 200 and 300yds with my hand guns.

Proud supporter of the Second Amendment, Bill of Rights, and the US Constitution. Also believe in Small Government and one that is limited by the people.
Old July 18, 2016, 03:27 PM   #50
mavracer

Quote:
And we shoot at distances from 40mm out to 100mm for .22lr and center fire pistol calibers.
Really all the way out to 5 inches, LOL sorry I had to.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."