The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 10, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
blueovelwookie

delta elite barrel

What drop in barrel other than o.e. is recomended for the delta elite that has a fully supported chamber. Recoil springs and guide rod up grades?
Old September 12, 2012, 05:35 PM   #2
RickB

You can't drop-in a barrel with a fully-supported, "ramped" chamber. The ramp replaces part of the frame that must be milled-out to accommodate the new barrel. The factory Delta Elite barrel has sufficient support for full-power ammo.
If you want to change springs in order to better accommodate hot rounds, I'd start with the mainspring, rather than the recoil spring. Heavy recoil springs do help slow unlocking and slide velocity somewhat, but they also can adversely affect feeding as the slide closes too fast. A heavy mainspring gives you the benefits of delaying unlocking and slowing the slide, without the downside of the heavy recoil spring. I run a 25# main and 20# recoil spring in my Delta, but most of my loads are 200@1000; for a steady diet of full power, I'd go back to the stock recoil spring rating of 23#.
I have a Cominolli recoil reducer in my Delta, which features polymer buffers on both sides of the guide rod head, so there is no metal-to-metal contact between the guide rod and frame. It might be overkill, but I got it for cheap.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3
drail

+1 On a Delta you MUST keep the springs replaced when they weaken (and they will). Use a full power mainspring. If you buy Wolff recoil springs they'll include a new extra power firing pin spring. Install it. If your gun will run with a shok buff, use it. (they won't last long so buy a bunch and change them when they start getting cut by the guide rod head. Look at the corners of the guide rod head, if it has sharp corners smooth them down with a stone. This is what destroys buffs. Inspect them frequently) But change the recoil springs when the brass starts flying more than 8 or 9 feet. All of this assumes a steady diet of factory level loads. If you handload don't try to push above the loads in the books. The factory barrel is fine unless it's very loose when locked up. If it is consider having a match bushing fitted.

Last edited by drail; September 12, 2012 at 11:00 PM.