The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2011, 01:44 AM   #1
mdd

Berger VLD 105's or Sierra Matchking 107's?

I purchased a new ruger hawkeye tactical 243 a few months back. All of the information I can find on it suggests this rifle is a 1:9 twist as opposed to the 1:10 which I had come to believe was the unwritten rule for 243's. I have high hopes for this rifle and it doesn't need to do anything other than kill paper. I am hoping someone has experience with both of these bullets because they represent what I would like to shoot out of it. Tell me which you would use & why. Or, if you would go a different route, I'd like to here the 'why' in that also.

Thanks,
Michael
Old July 8, 2011, 05:50 AM   #2
PawPaw

I've got a Savage 243 with a 1:9 twist. I've also got a box of SMK107 grain bullets. On the box is printed in red letters: 7" through 8" twist barrels only.
I tried them over a stiff charge of RL22 and they keyholed at 100 yards. I tried some 105 grain Hornady A-Max and they seem to stabilize well at 100 yards, but a buddy of mine looking at the targets thought that he could see yaw in the bullet holes. He's been doing this for a long time, so I deferred to his judgment. My rifle shoot 100 grain bullets very well, but when I get above 100 grains things start to go South.

Your rifle and load might be different.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 8, 2011, 06:52 AM   #3
Jim Watson

A Berger 105 also wants an 8 twist. Their 95 gr VLD is listed for a 9 twist.
A 100 grain Sierra MK would probably do ok.
Old July 9, 2011, 09:55 AM   #4
mdd

well that's too bad. I was interested in going with a little heavier bullet. Thank you all for the clarification.
Old July 9, 2011, 02:38 PM   #5
recarga

I've been reloading the 243 win for two years, got an Abolt,weatherby,and sako,different all of them. And in pills I have over 6 different brands and I always go back to the old 95gr nosler partition, for paper are bug killers under .50" and for game are well do I have to say it. There is a lot of great bullets out there and I use them all but when it comes to confidence on game and paper for some reason always go back to nosler.

But find the one YOU like and stay with it and find what it likes.
Good luck.
Old July 9, 2011, 08:54 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I shoot a savage Model 12 with a 9.25" twist. I have had excellent results shooting the 95 grain Berger VLDs, seated .010" off the lands, and over a healthy charge of H4895 (producing 3070 FPS). EXTREMELY accurate and the ballisticsare quite impressive.

Unfortunately, anything heavier than 100 grains will require at least an 8" twist or faster, Results may vary though.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~