The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Ivan

M1 Garand Front Handguard

Hello All,

I know that the standard match conditioning of the front handguard on the M1 Garand calls for epoxying it to the front band (?) and running screws from the back side after removing the liner.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to open up the barrel opening on the metal piece being held in place by the liner (behind the gas cylinder) and how that worked. If it worked, how much clearance did there need to be around the barrel?

- Ivan.
Old November 20, 2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The front handguard Ferrell is made of stamped steel and is fairly thin.
There's not much metal there to be removed, so most Match rifles make sure the hole is well centered around the barrel during bonding.

As long as it doesn't actually contact the barrel, its good.
If you want the full detail on Match conditioning an M1, invest a few bucks in the Jerry Kuhnhausen gunsmith shop manual on the M1.
It has the most information, actual process and pictures on the M1 and Match work available:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2..._A_SHOP_MANUAL

Whether you want to accurize your M1 or just would like to know how it works and whether its working properly, this is the best money you can spend. This gets WAY down into the mechanics of the M1.
Old November 24, 2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Ivan

Hi Dfariswheel,

I actually have had the Kuhnhausen book you mentioned and others for at least a decade or so. Yes, they are great references. I also have quite a lot of other references on match conditioning the .30 Cal Service Rifles. The problem with these references is that alternative ideas are not discussed.

The issue here is that I am wondering if there is anyone here who has tried alternative methods with the front handguard. I have heard of someone who had clearanced the front handguard ferrule (little stamped part?) and put in a spacer when transporting the rifle. I was hoping to get the benefits of others' experiments.

As for clearance around the ferrule, There is a slight cylindrical section. I can have only several thousandths of clearance around the barrel unless I remove that cylindrical section entirely. I was hoping to avoid doing that but just didn't know what the consequences would be.

- Ivan.
Old November 24, 2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Cutting or reaming the ferrule to eliminate the flanged center probably wouldn't have any consequences on a Match rifle.

As for alternative Match conditioning, there are many methods developed by many sources. There is no "right" or "wrong" way, the only thing that matters is accuracy and proper operation.
Old November 25, 2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Ivan

Hi Dfariswheel,

Again, I was hoping to gather from others' experiences / testing what the minimum clearance needs to be. We seem to have a pretty diverse and knowledgeable group here, so I thought there was a pretty good chance someone here has tried this and could list the trade-offs.

Thanks.
- Ivan.

Tags
front handguard , m1 garand