The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 2, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Wyn

SA/DA or DAO

I am fairly new to guns and I have a newbie question. What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying a SA/DA or DAO semi-auto pistol? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old March 2, 2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Apone

DA/SA or DAO

Wyn:

In a DA/SA (Double Action/Single Action) pistol the hammer does not need to be “thumbed” back for the initial shot. When the hammer is fully forward, or down, you only need to pull the trigger and the hammer will rise and fall relative to the trigger position. After the initial shot and each subsequent shot, the slide will cock the hammer as part of the action.

In a DAO (Double Action Only) pistol the hammer returns to the fully forward (down) position after each shot and cannot be “thumbed” back.

The advantages, IMHO, heavily favor the DA/SA option over DAO, because with DA/SA only your initial trigger squeeze will have a long, heavy pull. After your initial shot, the subsequent trigger pulls will be much lighter and shorter.

The advantage for a DAO pistol is consistent pull weight and travel for every shot.

I favor the DA/SA option in my pistols, as I only shoot them in DA to ensure this function works, but never for pleasure/leisure shooting. I find the SA trigger on my Sigs to be excellent and the DA function to be purposely heavy. I have not found a DAO trigger, other than the Para LDA, that I found to be practical. Many LEA’s issue DAO Pistols to their officers for liability purposes.
Old March 2, 2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Axel357

Apone answered your question well. I just wanted to add that if you're asking because you're not sure which route to go, simply go handle a few of each and try the different triggers to see what you like. Go with what feels most comfortable to you.

-George Washington
Old March 2, 2009, 07:48 PM   #4
oldandslow

wyn, 3/3/09

Great answer by Apone to your question. I also feel as he does about the DA/SA trigger preference compared to the DAO type of pistols. The main advantage for the DAO is in training a new shooter- the trigger pull is the same each time. For people who shoot infrequently the DAO may be easier to shoot well. For me, I shoot the DA/SA pistols more accurately and quickly than I can a DAO pistol, but I usually shoot twice a week and just feel comfortable with them.

DAO pistols come in many brand names- Glock, Springfield XD's, SW M&P's, HK-LEM trigger type, and Sig DAK trigger type to name a few. The best way to feel for yourself is to try different DAO brands of pistols and then compare them against the DA/SA pistols. Good luck in your quest.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old March 2, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
don95sml

The question you didn't ask is about single action only. If you're talking about target shooting, I think that's the ideal design, and includes single action revolvers, Browning Hi-Powers, CZ75B-SA, the venerable 1911, and others. Many use SAO pistols in IDPA matches, and do well.
Old March 2, 2009, 07:58 PM   #6
KChen986

My two cents.

Apone made a really good answer--similarly, I feel DA/SA is advantageous over SAO because you can holster the weapon safety off and know that there's 'extra' safety in the long trigger travel.

When I holster my 1911, in the back of my mind, I'm always worried about tripping the [relatively] light trigger. In contrast, when I holster my beretta, I'm not nearly as scared, because I know that, should I forget to engage my safety, I'll be hard pressed to cause a negligent discharge, given the long trigger.
Old March 2, 2009, 08:01 PM   #7
jg0001

Of the 2000+ rounds I've fired out of my Sig P226 DA/SA, I doubt I've ever shot more than 5 rounds DA, and then probably just to see how it feels.

For most people at a RANGE just shooting, a DA/SA is effectively an SA. The act of loading the magazine then racking the slide to load the first cartridge will put the gun in SA status just as if you just fired it. I suspect that most people won't decock a gun they just racked the slide on just to thereafter unload the mag downrange. I never see this mentioned when the DA/SA versus DAO topics come up and I always see the "different first shot" nonsense come up.

Sure, if you are carrying a DA/SA, you'll likely de-cock it and then the first shot WOULD be a DA shot, but for range-work, it's SA all the way.
Old March 2, 2009, 08:42 PM   #8
OnTheFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow
DAO pistols come in many brand names- Glock, Springfield XD's, SW M&P's, HK-LEM trigger type, and Sig DAK trigger type to name a few. The best way to feel for yourself is to try different DAO brands of pistols and then compare them against the DA/SA pistols. Good luck in your quest.
Personally I would put the striker fired pistols (Glocks, XDs, etc.) in their own category. Normally these are considered "partially cocked", so that the trigger pull is not as long or hard. My DA/SA PX4 has a long deliberate DA pull, but the Glock and XD I've fired felt like something between a DA and SA.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...