The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2000, 11:37 AM   #1
Baboon

Hi, guys ... and gals! (gotta' be a few, I'd guess)

I visited Remington's website and read their following description of the differences between the 870-HomeDefense and the 870-Police. I just thought I'd share it ...

Description: (question in the FAQ section)
Can you tell me the main differences between the 870 Express HD and the 870
Police Model (assume that the 870P is one with a synthetic stock and front
bead sight). Are the 870Express and 870P receivers different at all, that
is, other than the differences of inscription ("870 Police Magnum" or "870
Express Magnum")?

Solution:
Structurally the two receivers are identical. The only difference will be that the Police model will have a more durable finish. The magazine tubes will be slightly different. The Model 870 Express HD will have two indents in the magazine tube to accommodate the new style plastic magazine spring retainer. However, this prevents the HD model from accepting a magazine tube extension without alteration to the tube.

Other differences will be that the Police model includes a blaze orange follower, sling swivel studs, a shorter fore-end, heavier shell latches, a heavier sear spring and a heavier magazine spring.

Old November 6, 2000, 08:11 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm regarding Remington's use of a set of heavier parts on a Police version with a jaundiced eye. Since older(and downright ancient) 870s hold up incredibly well with standard parts, I'm of the opinion that the Police springs pkg is the older style stuff,and the non Police parts are CHEAPER, and of unproved durability.

And after 20 years of seeing what atrocities can be inflicted on duty weapons, I've seen no followers busted, and only the occasional mag spring be less than working perfectly.
Old November 8, 2000, 07:50 PM   #3
JNewell

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I visited Remington's website and read their following description of the differences between the 870-HomeDefense and the 870-Police.[/quote]

Where did you find this? I plowed through as much of their site as I could, and didn't find anything like this...can you point me in the right direction?