The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 14, 2009, 08:23 PM   #26
Dewhitewolf

Did the individual who currently owns the gun reside in another state when he acquired it?

The reason I'd ask is that if you live in another state and own firearms, and move to NJ, you do NOT need to do anything (you don't need to register or anything), provided that the firearms can be possessed in NJ (example, no assault rifles).

If your cousin acquired it as a resident of another state, he is still in lawful possession of it if he moved here.

If it was "handed down" without a purchase permit for each transfer (even if it was given and not sold), well your cousin could face a lot of trouble, unless he inherited it through a will. I would highly suggest tracking the gun's timeline of ownership as far as possible, for your cousin's sake.

Ignore Dave P and his "gun show loophole" idea. This will land you in a heap of trouble as well. NJ does not allow residents to purchase handguns out of state without a dealer transfer.

So far as I know, you would be in the clear if you completed the purchase with a purchase permit; you would not need to know where it came from. I don't know about your cousin, though. He would have to sign as the seller, and the duplicate copies get sent to the state police and local police. If they follow up on it, well they might question your cousin as to how he got it.
Old July 15, 2009, 07:23 AM   #27
JagFarlane

+1 to DeWolf

Local laws courtesy NRA

You may wish to see if there is a way to trace back to who last legally registered that firearm. Not just for your cousin, but unless people acquired them from a will, the transaction wasn't legal.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:24 AM   #28
ADB

Lex, don't take the risk of committing a felony and losing all your guns. Just mail the thing to me and I'll make sure it never blows back on you.
Old July 15, 2009, 03:10 PM   #29
NJgunowner

It's not "legal" but have your cousin send it to a friend or family member in PA and have them send it to a NJ FFL. NJ won't pay attention to a out of state transfer as long as it was done properly at this end of it.
Old July 16, 2009, 06:18 PM   #30
A/C Guy

Quote:
I want to legitimately register the gun with good intentions of legally following all the laws of the state so that I do not get caught with an unregistered weapon and face any jail time.

So... my question is... How do I register a weapon that is currently unregistered without getting myself and my cousin into any trouble?
Too bad you don't live in a free country where guns are a right and no registration is required. We have openings here in Az if you decide you want to live like a free man and not a subject.
Old July 16, 2009, 06:24 PM   #31
A/C Guy

Here is the serious answer to your problem.

Mail the gun to an FFL here in Az. Pay his $25 fee. He then ships to an FFL in NJ. Pay the transfer fee and your gun is now legally transferred to you in NJ.

I know an FFL here that accepts transfers directly from non FFL sellers. Our state and ATF rules do allow it.

In all, you are looking at $100 cost, but it is legal and closes the trackback from NJ. Our FFL is not required to disclose to NJ from where he got the gun as long as it is not on a hot list somewhere.