The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Hedley

Quick Q on Red vs. Green dot

The wife and I went to visit my parents this past week and in an attempt to rid the attic and garage of junk, my dad gave me all of his old skeet equipment. Along with two reloaders(one for 12 and 20), I scored about 60lbs of once fired 12ga AA hulls, about 1000 Winchester primers, two bags of wads, a jug of red dot, a jug of green dot, about 20 pounds of shot, and a mint BPS.

Quick question- What's the difference between red and green dot powders? I assume that he used one for 20 and the other for 12, but he couldn't remember.

If it helps, I can post pics this evening.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:06 PM   #2
rwilson452

If you buy a manual for reloading shot shells you will know the answer after reading it. You need the manual to reload anyway so just go buy one. I would suggest the Lyman book as a start.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Alliant will provide free literature on their powders.
Shotshell load data is very specific, the powder used, the weight of the load, the weight of shot, the hull, the primer and the wad all interact.

Red Dot is best limited to 12 gauge, Green Dot will serve 12 or 20. Read up.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
tube_ee

Go to alliant's website

and look up recipes for the hulls, primers, wads, shot, and powders you've got. Alliant's load data is pretty thorough. Don't forget to look up any pistols you reload for, as the Dots are useful there, too.

I think it's like this:

Red Dot: 1 oz 12 gauge target loads.

Green Dot: 1 1/8 oz 12 gauge hunting loads, light 20 gauge target loads.

Green Dot is slower-burning than Red. I burn a lot of Green Dot, as I use it in 12 and .38 Special. It's a good pistol powder.

Red Dot is also used in cast-bullet plinking loads in ~.30 caliber milsurp rifles, but I doubt you'll find data for that at Alliant.

--Shannon
Old January 7, 2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Shoney

OR You can get it straight from Alliant on line
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Index.htm
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111