The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2008, 08:05 AM   #1
jduquette0181

Loose Bullet on 45 colt?

Hello,

I am new to reloading and went through the steps of reloading some 45 colt brass that I had last night. I am using speer 230 grain 0.452 lead round nose bullets on some new and some once fired brass. I resized and belled all of the brass and inserted a new primer. I added the powder and when I went to seat the bullets I noticed the new brass seemed loose. I could insert the bullet to the crimp groove by hand with little pressure. I belled all the casing the same, very little. I tried to crimp several bullets and the bullets are loose. I can spin the bullet in the case but the crimp is in the groove and the crimp is quite noticeable. I also tried a few once fired brass and they crimped tight. Unsure what to do any help would be appreciated.
Old January 16, 2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Sevens

I know you resized the once-fired brass... but did you resize the new brass? All new brass needs to be run through the sizing die. As for flaring the case mouth, one guy's "not much" is another guy's "holy cow, looks like a funnel!" You need to flare the case mouth only enough to take a bullet without shaving lead as it's seated.
Old January 16, 2008, 01:04 PM   #3
jduquette0181

I did not resize the new brass, that is most likely my problem then. I belled the end just barely enought to accept the bullet on the once-fired brass. It really doesn't even look as if it is belled. Thanks for the info. I will try it and let you know how it went.

Jon
Old January 17, 2008, 11:27 AM   #4
jduquette0181

That was it thank you
Old January 17, 2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Pathfinder45

Not only do I resize new .45 Colt brass, but I also trim to uniform length on first loading. That way belling and crimping are also uniform. The new brass is not all that uniform in length in my experience.
Old January 17, 2008, 07:01 PM   #6
AZ Pete

You may also have a expaneder die for .454 bullets. The traditional diameter for .45 Colt Bullets was .454. Current seems to be .452. Older dies were made with expanders for .454 and if you have one you will find that after crimping a .452 bullet into your case, the bullet can be spun with your fingers. In that case, if it is a RCBS die, call RCBS and they will send you a new expander for your die.