The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 8, 2001, 09:17 PM   #1
Chuck Graber

Timney Trigger Question

After installing a Timney trigger in my Ruger M77 MKII today I started looking at the trigger and the sear. I guess I should have not been suprised at how slim a purchase the sear has on top of the trigger, but it looks to be only a few thousandths of an inch. I began to wonder about the wisdom of leaving the action cocked when storing the rifle. I am not worried so much about the spring taking a set, as much as the fine edges of the trigger and sear. The pressure form the firing pin is not extremelly heavy but when it bears on this fine edge for long periods of time it makes me wonder.

Yes I know that there are lots of rifles that are stored cocked for years with no apparent damage to trigger or sear and I am guessing that my shotguns and pistols probably have just as narrow an engagement surface but this has made me wonder. Owners of fine shotguns often drop the hammers when storing the guns, but that is to protect the springs from taking a set when left compressed for a long period of time.

I would appreciate any thoughts from the rifle smiths on this forum. How do the match rifle marksmen store their guns? Cocked or dry fired?

Chuck Graber
Old September 9, 2001, 06:16 AM   #2
HankL

Chuck, you don't have to "dry fire" to store your Ruger with the action uncocked. Just hold the trigger to the rear and gently close the bolt. I personally like to store my firearms uncocked.
HTH
Welcome aboard.
Old September 9, 2001, 07:39 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Chuck, I agree with Hank. I'd store it uncocked. George
Old September 9, 2001, 11:02 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

While I've never worried about any added wear or damage from dry-firing, I generally follow HankL's procedure.

Regardless, that Timney ain't built out of butter, so the relatively small amount of metal overlapped in the trigger-sear engagement won't be bothered by being left in the cocked condition.

Storage with the rifle empty and the sear disengaged is a "safety thing", more than anything else...and that's a Good Thing.

, Art
Old September 9, 2001, 06:44 PM   #5
Chuck Graber

Thank You one and all.

Hank, George and Art, Thank You very much. It makes sense to me. I know from Timney's adverts that the trigger and sear are made from 440C which when tempered is good enough for some very good knives. So I guess I should not be worried about the parts wearing on each other through their controlled range of movement. It just seemed like storing a knive blade edge to edge on top of another knife.

I will hence forth decock the rifle as you recommended and store it that way.

The Timney made a major difference over the old product liability trigger, and I look forward to getting the rifle out to the range to try it out.

Thanks again.

Chuck Graber
Old September 9, 2001, 07:39 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, compared to that factory-original, tort-liability monstrosity, the Timney would plumb make childbirth a pleasure!

, Art