The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 1, 2016, 03:54 PM   #1
HiBC

Muzzle loader cleaning device

Back when I was into BP and Muzzle loaders,I worked in the R+D dept for an outfit that made hand held shower heads and oral irrigators.

So,the Hawken Water Flosser was inevitable.

The handle portion of a shower was sawed off.A long piece(barrel plus ) length of brass tubing was epoxied into this handle.

In use,the normal shower head was removed from the hose.This sawed off shower head was threaded onto the hose.

The wedge keys were removed from the Hawken,and barrel removed.

The brass tube was inserted into the barrel,clear to the breech.Optionally,a wire can be used to hold it in there,attached to a ramrod thimble.

Then you just turn on the hot water.The water blasts in to the breech,and then flushes out the bore.
Let it run till the water comes out clear.

Remove the contraption from the bore,run a few patches through.You should get clean,dry patches real soon.

At this point,I'd usually rely on a shot of WD-40 and a couple more patches.

It worked for me.

I have also,for fun,camping,pulled the nipple or bolster screw,dunked the breech into a boiled billy pot of water,and used the patch and ramrod to pump hot water the length of the bore.(Note: Do not used hot melt glues ,like fishing rod ferrule cement,to attach ramrod hardware!!And,pin them)

Lean the hot barrel muzzle down against a tree to drain a bit, then while its still warm,a greased patch or two for rust prevention.

A lead pot in the campfire and pouring a few balls goes well,too.

And,yes,I know.A few patches of Black-solve,and they clean up fine .

Its all fun.
Old August 1, 2016, 04:14 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have the CVA pump that pumps water down the barrel. Under more primitive conditions I use the large can like you do.
Old August 1, 2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Hawg

A two gallon bucket and a bore mop works for me. You can do it in the sink but it leaves a mess you have to clean up.
Old August 1, 2016, 09:17 PM   #4
44 Dave

When I shoot bp muzzle loader or cartridge I run a couple of patches with powder solvent (home made) through the gun and leave the patch in the garbage at the range. Cleaning at home has lot less smell and the women don't yell at me "what is your stink".
Old August 1, 2016, 09:42 PM   #5
Model12Win

"Hawken Irrigator"

Oh God, I wonder what 'ol Sam and Jake would think of that!

Last edited by Model12Win; August 1, 2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old August 1, 2016, 10:32 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
"Hawken Irrigator"

Oh God, I wonder what 'ol Sam and Jake would think of that!
Prolly shake their heads muttering future people.
Old August 2, 2016, 02:24 AM   #7
HiBC

Maybe so,Hawg.
But this was the second rifle I built,maybe 35 years ago. + or -I used Bairds book,and a set of Cherry Corners blueprints taken off Mariano Medina's rifle.
Hat tip to the late Ron K,who had something to do with Cherry Corners.
Then hat tip to The Flintlocker,Ken K,who mentored my build.
And the late Broken Butt,of Cache la Poudre rifleworks,who took good care of me.It has a Sharon bbl,Ron Long lock and double set,and a Griffin Hook breech.Its a .54.

And ,could be,Sam and Jake might think its an OK rifle.

12688206_1037835566278869_2786375431740283571_n[2].jpg

Its never rusted.I still have it.
Old August 2, 2016, 07:39 AM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I guess I'm just a old school kind of guy. No sophisticated handy dandy pumps here. Only two- 5 gallon pails for my barrels cleaning purpose I found necessary. No mess no fuss and my rig> is portable.
Old August 2, 2016, 08:45 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Maybe so,Hawg.
But this was the second rifle I built,maybe 35 years ago. + or -I used Bairds book,and a set of Cherry Corners blueprints taken off Mariano Medina's rifle.
Hat tip to the late Ron K,who had something to do with Cherry Corners.
Then hat tip to The Flintlocker,Ken K,who mentored my build.
And the late Broken Butt,of Cache la Poudre rifleworks,who took good care of me.It has a Sharon bbl,Ron Long lock and double set,and a Griffin Hook breech.Its a .54.
A nice rifle indeed and worthy of taking care of but we were talking about Sam and Jake. Their rifles were made to go out in the wilderness. They were thick in the wrist to sustain knocks and falls without breaking. In other words they weren't made to be babied. They were made to be used and used hard and scuffs and dings were part of it. I read somewhere that a big part of Hawken's business was repairing rifles that had broken stocks etc. You see a lot of old rifles today with wire or rawhide wrapped stocks where they've been broken or cracked.
Old August 2, 2016, 12:50 PM   #10
maillemaker

Pedersoli makes a steam cleaning wand like this.

Steve
Old August 2, 2016, 01:38 PM   #11
Pahoo

To each, his own !!!

I would never question anyone's "techniques" on dealing with M/L's, unless there was a question of safety. However, I keep it simple and effective and really have no use for pumps. I once hooked up an aquarium pump, tubing and CVA fitting and it worked. Used it a few times and returned to a simpler way that is just as effective. I Wonder if the old frontiersmen, ever put a barrel into a trout stream. I can see that working as well. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 2, 2016, 02:32 PM   #12
Hawg

I have heard Indians dunked rifle, stock and all in creeks and streams to clean them.
Old August 2, 2016, 08:50 PM   #13
HiBC

Hawg,that rifle is true to being a Hawken repro.

I still have the dimensioned blueprints taken off an original Hawken on display at the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron.

Are you familiar with Baird's book"The Hawken Rifle" ? I built to that,too.

I once considered selling it.I took it to the Collectors Gun show in Denver

It was fun to watch folks walk by,then suddenly stop,turn,and come back like a bird dog going on point!!

They'd come back and look,and study...

Then someone told me there was an older gentleman at the show who was an authority on the Hawken

He came to my table to look at the rifle.He appreciated it,and said it was one of the nicer builds he had seen.

When I mentioned that it had an anomality,that it had an early S Hawken guard,but ,with the longer barrel,it would be typical of a later Hawken for a mounted man...He looked at me,and said " Do you have any idea how rare YOU are? That you would even know that?"

Yes,Hawg,I did learn about the Hawken in its true form.

I learned about it by building one in true form.With a lot of research,and by having the good fortune to meet and work with some ML riflemakers and enthusiasts along the way.

I studied Hacker Martin,Herchel House in the Foxfire.John Bivens,recreating the Pennsylvania Rifle.Ned Roberts,the Muzzle Loading Caplock.

From those I made a .40 flintlock for my former spouse.Rough blank,full curly maple.Full length stock.Siler lock kit.It came out really nice.I made the hardware.Forged the trigger guard,etc.

As far as the need for whe Hawken Irrigator....Did you ever just experiment with something for fun?

I outgrew the tool pretty fast,The Hawken was beautifully designed for ease of cleaning. Black Solv works great,as does the billy pot method I have used at the campfire.

I just thought I'd share the idea ,mostly for fun.
Old August 2, 2016, 11:56 PM   #14
Hawg

HiBC, you seem to think I was slighting you or your irrigator but I wasn't. Someone made a remark about what would Sam and Jacob think and IMO that's what they would have thought. I too have a Hawken built on blueprints altho it's probably not as accurate as yours. The builder followed them to the best of his ability. The barrel on mine is a little short for a Hawken at 31 inches but it was the best I could do at the time and I figured I could skimp on the barrel and replace it later with one more correct but it just shoots too good as it is. The stock was made from scratch and most of the furniture is hand made. You will notice there's no entry pipe, a feature that isn't always present on original Hawken's, so yes I know a little bit about the original Hawken's

Old August 3, 2016, 12:42 AM   #15
HiBC

No heartburn,Hawg.

That IS a very nice,honest Hawken.
thanks!
Old August 3, 2016, 12:50 AM   #16
Hawg

Thanks Hi, that means a lot coming from you.
Old August 3, 2016, 12:20 PM   #17
FrontierGander

to much damn stuff to keep around the house IMO. Bucket, cleaning rod and jag for me.
Old August 3, 2016, 08:03 PM   #18
HiBC

I agree.Mine is long gone.

I don't generally visit this section .I answered a thread about a stuck patch,and remembered that thing.

Its unnecessary,but it did work well.

So,just making friendly conversation,I shared the idea.

No big deal.

I got my own coffee in my thermos.Times seem to have changed.
Got your cup?