The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 17, 2002, 07:43 PM   #1
KenF

Cap 'n Ball Revolvers: Dry Loading ?

I haven't done this yet, but just in case...........what if I forget to put in the powder (or Pyrodex in my case) before I seat the ball ?

On the Pyrodex web site, the FAQ discusses this, saying "When it comes to dry loading (seating the bullet without putting in a powder charge) there are only three kinds of shooters. Those who have done it, those who will do it, and those who lie about it."

But it looks like more of a question about a rifle. Anyway, they say it's OK to remove the nipple, put in a bit of powder, put the nipple back, cap it up, and then blow out the ball. The only caution is to be sure the ball is seated enough to remove air space.

So what do you think? For a cap 'n ball revolver is this a dumb idea ? good idea ? better way to solve the problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Ken.
Old July 17, 2002, 09:06 PM   #2
Borf

Only done it twice (in rifle)
Some kits will have a little screw worm thing to go on a cleaning rod, which you can then screw into the soft lead ball and pull out.
You *may* be able to drive it out with just a percusion cap (doubtful).
Some will snap a cap, then unscrew nipple and put a few grains powder in, snap cap, etc... some folks will tell you this is a bad idea.

The BEST thing going is to get a CO2 powered hinky which fits over the nipple and blows the ball clear. Pretty inexpensive and more importantly it's safe and easy.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old July 17, 2002, 10:55 PM   #3
WINTERVILLE WILL

1.remove cylinder from frame
2.remove nipple from dry charged hole
3.insert properly sized pin punch thru nipple port
4.drive out ball
DAMFOOL #64

45-70...reach out and thump somethin'
Old July 18, 2002, 09:40 AM   #4
Alex Johnson

I've done this on more than one occasion, not too long ago in fact. My solution is tried and true and has never failed me. First, fire any remaining chambers that are loaded. Double check the gun to make sure there are no remaining loaded chambers. Disassemble the piece and find yourself a drywall screw that is about 3-4" long. Soft lead is easy to put a screw into, I simply locate the center of the ball approximately and tap the screw a few times with a small hammer (the end of the screwdriver will work) to start the screw and than simply screw it in about 4-5 turns. After this you can put the end of the screw into a bench vice or simply use a set of vice grips to pull it out. Works every time. Only thing to watch out for is to make sure the rest of the chambers are empty and that you put the thread the screw into the ball enough turns to give it good purchase when pulling out the ball. I wouldn't recommend this method if you do have a charge behind the ball. In those instances it's best to unscrew the nipple, clean it, and place a small priming charge underneath, 9 times out of 10 this will do the trick.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 18, 2002, 11:05 AM   #5
Chuck Dye

I am with Winterville Will. My kit includes a length of brass rod for just that purpose. On one occasion when the kit was abbreviated for a hike, the deed was done with a nice dry oak twig trimmed with a pocket knife.