The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 2, 2002, 01:49 PM   #1
Tropical Z

Durability-SxS vs over/under?

I heard that an over/under will outlast any number of side by sides all things being equal.Is this true,and if it is why?
Thanx
Old April 2, 2002, 02:25 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I can't imagine why. There was a Boss SxS that the London proof house kept to testfire ammo in, so they could function fire new guns after proof testing with standardized loads. It was in good shape after a documented one million rounds.
Old April 2, 2002, 03:29 PM   #3
Nalle

can´t ever imagine that SxS wears more quickly then a O/U. I´ve had a couple of old SxS, about 40-50 years old, hammerless guns, that has been trough alot and still been mechanicly as good as new (they´ve been worn down on the wooden stock and fore-stock, but thats nothing alittle care would fix)

Great guns these 12 gauge SxS good fit, less weight than a semi-/ pump gun => better and faster swing but harder kicks

Old April 2, 2002, 04:24 PM   #4
PJR

The answer to the question is "Yes, No and Maybe"

I don't think you can make the statement broadly about all guns. I expect that the 6.5lb sxs that I use to hunt grouse won't stand up to the same pounding as the 8.5lb over/under that I use to shoot targets. Conversely, a Winchester Model 21 sxs would probably exceed the longevity of light English over/under.

Over the long run, however, I'd have to believe the over/under would have the edge in durability because the barrels sit in the frame whereas the sxs barrels sit on top the frame. The recoil forces on a sxs are presented laterally as opposed to vertically with the over/under. Over the years, sxs makers have developed enhanced locking mechanisms and other tricks such as sideclips to reduce the side to side forces of recoil.

I've seen many loose sxs guns over the years but very few loose over/unders. Based on my own experience, I'd give the durability nod between the two to the over/under.
Old April 2, 2002, 11:55 PM   #5
huntsman

I think the biggest SXS trouble you'd get is wear of the knuckle or lumps loseing , but if the o/u has bi-fulcrated pins it's a simple matter to change out when they wear. I also think there's more laterial pressure on the sxs then on o/u, but I don't think you can make a blanket statement that one will last longer than another both have been proven by the test of time
Old April 3, 2002, 02:18 AM   #6
Tropical Z

Thanx for the replies.I am considering a double barrel and maybe now,i'll pick up that EAA-Baikal SxS in 12 gauge i've been eyeing.I can't/don't want to pay a thousand dollars for one and now i'm confident that a SxS would last as long as me considering it will probably never fire more than a couple hundred rounds a year.Thanx again!
Old April 3, 2002, 07:57 AM   #7
PJR

Tropical Z

They may not be high on the fit and finish scale but those Baikals are very stout guns. I imagine you could shoot many hundreds of rounds each year before worrying about the gun shooting loose.

There are many ways to return a gun to like new tightness. The most common is replacing the hinge pin or the trunnions on which the barrel moves. In other cases, the barrels themselves can be welded up and reshaped. Don't go for a cheap fix for a loose gun because this usually entails the application of a BFH in manners too deplorable to imagine.
Old April 4, 2002, 09:22 AM   #8
K80Geoff

Durability is more a function of who made the gun rather than the type of action.

Some sidelock guns made over 100 years ago are still working. Some lower end O/U's will break under hard use.

Both types of action are solid and if made properly will last for generations. Doubles will definitely outlast repeaters.