The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 12, 2007, 08:16 PM   #76
revjen45

If I knew I was going in harm's way I would need a gun bearer to pack all my iron and extra lead, or I would stay home and watch Oprah that day. One of my favorite movies is "The Outlaw Josey Wales." IIRC he carries 2 saddle revolvers and 4 on his person in addition to his long guns. Arthritis of the spine limits how much weight I can walk with. 2 guns and lotsa magazines/speed loaders (+ 2 knives) are the best I can do.
Old January 12, 2007, 10:36 PM   #77
JohnKSa
Staff

It's easy to make a good case for anything from one to twenty.

Justification for one round:

Statistics say that most self-defensive gun uses don't involve any shooting at all but that when a shot IS fired, it generally ends the encounter even if the attacker is not seriously wounded or hit. So one is all you need in the vast majority of cases.

Justification for twenty rounds:

It's reasonable to plan for multiple attackers; it wouldn't take much research to back that up. Then factor in the hit rate in real-world gunfights of about 20%--1 hit in 5 shots. Now make the well-warranted assumption that it's going to take more than one pistol round to ensure that an attacker is incapacitated.

Then the minimum you would reasonably want to carry would be calculated by: 2 attackers times 2 hits times 5 shots for each hit = 20 rounds.
Old January 13, 2007, 11:55 AM   #78
Pointer

JohnKSa
Quote:
Then the minimum you would reasonably want to carry would be calculated by: 2 attackers times 2 hits times 5 shots for each hit = 20 rounds.
Works for me!

30-06 FOREVER
Old January 13, 2007, 08:41 PM   #79
tshadow6

rounds

The one situation I was in, I was quite confident with the 6 rounds of .38 +P STHP. I was all set to put 6 in his chest then reload. Fortunatley for him, the situation resolved itself without any shots being fired. For daily c.c., I am comfortable with the one mag worth in my weapon. For traveling, I keep several weapons along with spare ammo.
Old January 17, 2007, 03:09 PM   #80
David Armstrong

Quote:
How much would you carry if you knew you were going in harms way?
If I knew I was going in harms way I'd go another way!
Old January 17, 2007, 06:33 PM   #81
STAGE 2

"How many rounds do you need" isn't the proper question. You've actually got it backwards.

The proper question is "what are the proper tactics given the rounds that I'm carrying."

If I'm walking around with my 5 shot snubbie or my seecamp, I'm not going to re-enact custers last stand. In that situation, my particular pistol is going to be used to slow my attacker enough to get out of Dodge. (Which brings me to a side note, good shooting is only half the equation. Physical fitness and the ability to scoot once a problem arises along with the situational awareness to realize it is the other half.)

If I happen to have my USP and 2 spare mages, the situation changes slightly... not markedly but slightly.

Bottom line, the most important thing that you can use isn't in your holster, its between your ears. Maintain that distinction and you'll be fine.

If I'm in my home then we have an entirely different matter.
Old January 18, 2007, 12:15 AM   #82
G-Cym

Quote:
It's easy to make a good case for anything from one to twenty.

Justification for one round:

Statistics say that most self-defensive gun uses don't involve any shooting at all but that when a shot IS fired, it generally ends the encounter even if the attacker is not seriously wounded or hit. So one is all you need in the vast majority of cases.

Justification for twenty rounds:

It's reasonable to plan for multiple attackers; it wouldn't take much research to back that up. Then factor in the hit rate in real-world gunfights of about 20%--1 hit in 5 shots. Now make the well-warranted assumption that it's going to take more than one pistol round to ensure that an attacker is incapacitated.

Sounds good to me. I usually carry 21 rounds, though 10 of them are in a spare mag in my backpack, which goes everywhere with me. I think the 11 in my Taurus should handle most situations. I can't imagine ever really needing to the reload, unless I am in some crazy North Hollywood Shootout situation. And of course if that happened, I would probably just head for cover and stay there til it's over.
Old January 18, 2007, 12:38 AM   #83
Tokamak

Zero

I had to pull my gun once. I did not have to fire it to disuade the bad guy. As soon as he stopped, I retreated. Note: I did call 911 and informed them of the incident. They found me to be justified.

If I ever have to fire, I have 5 in my .357 and 6 in my .380. As I am not in the military nor an LEO, I believe that that is enough ammunition. That does not make me right - it is just what I have decided is prudent. You could be just as right carrying 2 in a derringer or 3 spare mags for your .45.
Old January 18, 2007, 08:12 AM   #84
Deaf Smith

No one in combat ever complained about having to large a gun/cartridge nor about having to much ammo. It's far better to have a few extra rounds than not quite enough, same goes for power and accuracy.

That is why I recomend if you carry a revolver, carry two (it's just so slow to reloaded in the dark, in the rain, one handed, moving, etc...)

And that is why I like Glocks. Plenty of ammo if you do your part. Stats be danged as for how many shots on the average. Average is for the birds. Average is for the mediocrity. Are you average? Are you exaclty 5 ft 8? Are you exactly average weight. Average hands, average IQ, average shot?

Well carry as many rounds as you feel comfortable with, and then hope you don't need them.