The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 9, 2005, 08:22 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

What is the best modern Brown Bess?

What modern verson of the Brown Bess musket is the most reliable, historically accurate and durable?

I looked at the Pedersoli kit when I went up to visit DGW last summer but couldn't make up my mind to spend so much. The price is a bit steep but then again they are hard to come by. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=3525

Wildalaska, if you read this, what do you think a .735 caliber round ball would do to one of your Alaskan bears?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old November 9, 2005, 09:04 PM   #2
deadin

You might give these a look. They come out of Canada as "non-firing" replicas. (The flash-hole isn't drilled) It is a simple task to put in a flash hole and they are ready to shoot. Supposedly, they are safe and made from modern materials. Someplace on the site is an address where you can even get rifled barrels for them.

http://www.militaryheritage.com/

Dean
Old November 9, 2005, 09:43 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

Tht is an interesting site. Thanks. Who is their manufacturer?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old November 9, 2005, 11:42 PM   #4
deadin

I'm not sure. Apparently they make a lot of stuff for the film industry, (Sharpe's Rifles etc.) and re-enactment groups.

You could probably write them and ask.

Dean
Old November 10, 2005, 05:50 AM   #5
l.cutler

The Military Heritage muskets are made in India. I have been following reports on them, most are favorable but there have been some poor reviews. Most complaints are because of the stocks being too thick and clunky, and made out of rosewood instead of walnut.
Old November 10, 2005, 08:49 AM   #6
deadin

I think a lot of the originals were "thick and clunky" but, rosewood? Isn't that kind of heavy?

Dean
Old November 11, 2005, 05:28 AM   #7
l.cutler

Actually one of the biggest compaints on many reproductions is too much wood. Most originals were much slimmer than the repros. I have heard of many people refinishing the stocks on the Indidan muskets to remove the excess wood and stain to look more like walnut.
Old November 11, 2005, 02:04 PM   #8
SeekHer

Kit Ravenshear used to make the most accurate of all the makers and most expensive...from the dog lock to the India Land Pattern and Officers' carbines which I have along with a Short Land Pattern #1 banana style [F&I period] but haven't seen or heard about him or any of his stuff in years.
Navy Arms is supposed to be very good for a 3rd land pattern model along with Dixie Gun Works--I think they are made by Davide Pedersoli but can't say for sure.

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living