The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 7, 2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Chick

Savage MK II FSS

I bought this rifle for the trapline, and never had any intentions of mounting a scope on it. From the factory, the gun was shooting several inches high at 30 yds, with the rear sight all the way down. The gun comes with crappy Williams fiber optic sights, which is fine for combat handguns in limited light, but should never be mounted on a rifle. I sent the rifle in, and after several months, it came back, with a note that they had changed the barrel, and was shooting a sub1/2" group. BUT, they shot it with a scope at 100 yds. Seriously? I got the rifle back, and the rear sight elevation screw was still not even touching the barrel, and the rifle was shooting even higher! Called Savage, and shipped it back. Savage called me, after receiving the rifle back the second time. They said they shot the rifle and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I asked them if they shot it with iron sights, because I was not mounting a scope on it. Told the woman that when the rifle came back, that the adjustment screw on the the rear sight was totally not even touching the barrel and it was still shooting high. I told her if it came back and was still shooting high, that I was not going to be happy. They took it back to the range, and said that it was shooting sub 1/2" groups at 30 yards with the iron sights. I got the rifle back and it was still shooting high. BUT, the adjustment screw had the rear sight elevated 1/8". Also, both the rear sight and the front sight was slid to the left in the dovetail. First thing. I centered both front and rear sights, then I lowered the rear sight 1/2 round on the screw. The rifle is now shooting where it is suppose to, but the rifle is only grouping 1" at 30 yds with both CCI Mini Mags and Federal Match ammo.

I don't know what they did the second time, but they did something. What makes me mad is that they said they did nothing. There is absolutely no reason for the dishonesty, and it just agitates me further. Bottom line, Savage gunsmiths cannot be trusted for squat.

I guess I will have to live with this, but I am not happy