The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 2, 2006, 07:34 PM   #1
patrickd

ball or bullets for 1858 revolver

Hi,
I'm new to percussian revovers and want to try a different bullet other than round balls. What type of bullet can I shoot? And how heavy of a charge of fffg?
Old April 3, 2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Weird Guy

There are conical bullets available on the market.

As for max powder charge it usually is around 35 to 40 grains of powder. However, accuracy suffers usually if you want to go maximum on the powder charge. For some reason the powder charge of just 22 grains seems to be the most common load that gets the best accuracy for revolvers.
Old April 3, 2006, 05:00 AM   #3
Low Key

Accuracy is very individual with some of these revolvers, I've heard 20 or 22gr gets the best accuracy for some people such as WG and I have no doubts about that. The 2 of mine that I shoot the most, (5.5 in barrel and 8in barrel 1858 remingtons) like everything from 25gr all the way to 40gr and I'm convinced that either of them is capable of putting 6 shots in one hole, if the operator could hold steady on the target.
Old April 7, 2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Mike Weber

I usually get 35 gr of FFFg Goex into my Remingtons. I prefer shooting roundball when I'm shooting them as percussion guns. I've got R&D conversion cylinders for them and I can stuff 37 gr FFFg GOEX into my Winchester .45 Colt brass pushing a 250 gr PRS big lube bullet along quite nicely. I've got the LEE conical mold for the Remingtons but getting the conicals to started is very difficult. In fact I managed to break a loading lever link pin on one of my revolvers seating conicals. My revolvers get excellent accuracy with roundball and using the conicals just isn't worth the trouble for me. I was having to seat the conicals with the cylinders out of the guns using a rawhide mallot to get them seated rather than overstressing the loading lever link pins.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.
Old April 8, 2006, 07:41 AM   #5
ribbonstone

Mike pretty much nailed it. Seating conicals can be a challenge, an to shoot well they need to be seated straight....you'd not expect a cartridge revolver to shoot well with bullets cocked to one side or the other, a percussion is just as picky.

Some guns just don't seem to have the loading space (try getting 36 conicals into an 1862 pocket navy) and other shooters don't like to stress the pivots of the loading lever.