The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 27, 2015, 11:10 PM   #1
SaxonPig

Changing tide.

I hope this doesn't violate the no politics rule. I am just trying to report the facts and not push any political agenda.

As a faculty member at an Arkansas college I have followed the development of the "campus carry" controversy. Two years ago the Republican led state legislature passed and the Democratic governor signed into law authorization for employees at colleges to carry at work. However, to get some Democrats on board they added the option for college presidents to "opt out" and deny campus carry. Naturally, as I could have told them would happen, all 13 Arkansas college presidents "opted out."

The sponsor of that bill came back this year pushing hard. The new bill excluded students from carrying (to appease some lawmakers) and eliminated the "opt out." In committee the revised bill without the "opt out" option died on a straight party line 10-10 vote. Not sure why there are equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans on the committee as the Republicans have a clear majority in the entire legislative body but there you go. The bill was revised to include giving colleges the right to require additional training beyond that required by the state to obtain a carry permit before allowing employees to carry. This brought most of the Democrats on board and it has been sent to the full State Senate. The new Republican governor has promised to sign it.

I believe two states currently allow campus carry. As I understand it four more (including my state) are in process of allowing it. I see this as an amazing shift in thinking. Maybe with the horrific school shootings by lunatics showing the vulnerability of students and staff on campus and the growing threat of terrorist attacks some people who formerly opposed concealed carry are starting to change their minds?
Old February 27, 2015, 11:34 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

It seems that it's gradually become more difficult for the anti-gun groups to effectively sell their hardline propaganda because it's too easy to fact check these days.

It helps that the concealed carry movement has also provided a lot of data showing that allowing average folks to carry guns in public doesn't result in disasters.