The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 28, 2015, 04:20 PM   #1
HMC8404

Back to a wheel gun

My last 1911, a Remington 1911R1S, performed flawlessly the first 100 rds. I finally thought I had found a reliable 1911. Nope. No matter how clean and lubed it was, or how I held it, the thing began a pattern of FTFs no mater the ammo. 1911s are my favorite weapons, but they don't like me.

Sooo, off to market it went. Another 1911 disappointment. I now feel very comfortable with my new 5-shot Ruger LCRx (.38 special+P). I'm a steel gun old school kinda guy, but this lightweight baby is extremely comfortable for OWB high CC, accurate as I need it to be, and has the best DA trigger pull of any out of the box wheel gun I've tried in this price range, $420. OTD. My old eyes love that white front sight too. Five rounds in the torso real quick-like should not be a problem, and a jam? I don't think so. I think Ruger hit a sweet spot with this one.
Old February 28, 2015, 04:42 PM   #2
UncleEd

It won't be your last revolver whether it be Ruger or Smith & Wesson. (I'm prejudiced so I don't include Taurus or any of the old, over priced Colts.)

For reliability on any revolver, remember:

1. Load (preferably factory for defense).

2. Check to see cylinder is free to spin by pulling hammer slightly back to lower cylinder bolt/stop (finger off trigger) and rotate cylinder. If it goes easily and smoothly, you're good to go.

3. Learn manual of arms whether righty or lefty in reloading single cartridges or with speed loader.

4. Even if you've shot a lot, don't be afraid to invest in a few books by Grant Cunningham or Rob Pincus. They'll get you into mind set of double action only use for your LCR or next purchase.

Benefits include not having to wonder or ask forums which magazines are best, how much lube you need or don't need to keep keep slides sliding, now often to replace all your springs and which upon which upon which weight springs to use.

There's much much more to think about but a heck of a lot less
than in maintaining the autoloader and I think highly of the 1911, the Browning HP, the Beretta 92, the Sig 226/220 and even the various Glocks.
Old February 28, 2015, 07:16 PM   #3
HMC8404

Good advice, Uncle Ed.
Old February 28, 2015, 07:41 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Did you clean the firing pin, firing pin spring and the firing pin channel?