The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2000, 07:40 AM   #1
Glamdring

Not looking for debate on merits of shot vs slug for hd & leo use. Rather for a debate on the relative merits of the various slugs.

Just wondering about typical performance of various slugs. I know the standard lead slugs [rem, fed, win] all perform about the same. But what about the copper slugs? like Federal's load with a barnes copper slug or rem's copper hp?

My SG shoots lead slugs from the big three about the same, at least out to 50 yards. I haven't tried the sabots yet because I have a smooth bore slug barrel.
Old December 10, 2000, 08:06 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The mission has to be defined a little tighter, for best input. Are you looking for a breaching slug, a car engine buster, a car door buster, or something that will use up all it's energy 4 inches into a perp?

My old duty load was the Winchester 1 oz Forster type. I believe they picked it because they got a good deal on it, not for any major advantage it may have held. These were the same people that told me that the old 158gr roundnose 38 Special load was the best choice for us,since " The troops know that it's only so so effective so they'll use more care in shooting it than they would a HP". Honest, that's what they said. Next year, there was a tragedy involving an officer with that 158 gr load and we were using 110 gr +P thr week after the funeral.

For all around use, that Winchester is a good pick. So's the Federal.

These KO Brennekes and all Brennekes in general might be the answer where you may want to shoot through a car.

The copper jobs here have the rep of fragmenting,and when used on deer requiring longer trailing jobs.
Old December 10, 2000, 08:55 AM   #3
ljlc

When one decides it's time for a slug for HD, accuracy, barrier penetration, and/or long distance will usually be the mitigating circumstances. Brenneke's have been recommended to me by a well known trainer who prefers the SG for PD. They will do all three very well. If you just prefer to pop a perp with a slug at HD distances rather than with some other load and don't have to worry about over penetration issues, I suspect most any accurate lead slug would do.
Old December 16, 2000, 11:38 AM   #4
Glamdring

So no one thinks there would be any real difference between the lead slugs and the sabot slugs for HD and general purpose LEO use?
Old December 16, 2000, 12:06 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nope, tho I'd stick with the Forster type since they penetrate less. Less is relative, using deer as a test medium, it takes about 2 feet of deer tissue to stop one. IOW, broadside shots usually exit, chest on shots do not.
Old December 17, 2000, 04:04 PM   #6
VictorLouis

I just tried some cheap S&B 1oz. Forsters

that I am impressed with. They seemed every bit as accurate as the same style from Federal that I had for comparison. The best part is that they were only $3 a box. I would have to agree with Dave regarding the saboted style rounds, or even the Brenekes. They would likely be the worst for OP in a HD scenario.