The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 18, 2002, 08:53 PM   #1
mister rogers

Looking for a new folder

Looking for a new folder. Anyone have experience with the Kershaw Boa, and if so did/do you like it or not?
Old August 19, 2002, 03:21 AM   #2
borderjeeper

I don't know bout the Kershaw knife.

I've carried several different knives and the one I'm most impressed/pleased with is the GT Knife.

GT Knives
Old August 19, 2002, 08:26 AM   #3
Hard Ball

It's not cheap, but if you want a superb folder get an Emerson Commander.
Old August 19, 2002, 11:01 PM   #4
mister rogers

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into both knives, before I make any decision.
Old August 20, 2002, 05:15 PM   #5
CWL

Dont forget Benchmade, they'll resharpen them for life.

A cheapo that really isn't would be a CRKT M16. A great knife that you won't cry over if you ever lost it. Buy it on eBay for about 1/2 MSRP.
Old August 20, 2002, 08:55 PM   #6
knowledgegreen

Quote:
It's not cheap, but if you want a superb folder get an Emerson Commander.
I'll second the Emerson BTS Commander. Very well made and the wave feature allows for instant access to the blade.
Old August 21, 2002, 11:30 AM   #7
CPR

Emerson Commander, hands down. Try to get a 2002 model, as they've gone through some minor design changes that make the knife a little stronger than '99-'01 models. I prefer the satin version with a plain edge myself, although they're all great. Don't forget the Mini-Commander, because it isn't! The Mini may be more suitable if you travel to different states frequently or need a smaller knife.

Chris
Old August 22, 2002, 09:35 AM   #8
Mike in VA

For research, try www.bladeforums.com, for shopping, there's www.knifecenter.com. HTH
Old August 22, 2002, 10:15 AM   #9
Bullwinkle

Emerson Commander. Definately.

Good advice on picking up a 2002 model.

The original first run Commanders were 98's. These were very beefy and are highly sought after. The subsquent years production are more lightly constructed but still servicable. I have two 2001 and they work fine. 2002 two went back to specs more similar to the 98's.

If you're feelling real flush http://www.emersoncollectorsassociation.com/Home.html

"Sonny, anybody with his gears meshed wants to be free, doesnt matter what sex or age, and freedom always calls for a little hardware."
Lucy Kropotkin
Old August 22, 2002, 02:22 PM   #10
jimsbowies

If money is an issue

Try the Centofante Spyderco collaboration....really neat...

Also, the DeltaZ Osprey is a lotta knife for the money.....

Of course, I have hundreds and have about 6 different folders in rotation for every day carry...so I'm spoiled....
Old August 22, 2002, 04:02 PM   #11
CPR

If you want the best of both worlds on a Commander, get on the waiting list for the second run of EKI 5 year anniversay Commanders. Original beefy liners and handle slabs with the 2002 revisions and a satin blade (no coating). I was lucky to find a kind soul that ordered 2 from the first run of 25 that was willing to part with one. They second run probably won't be out until after December, but they're worth the wait. Check out www.emersonknives.com and click on the 5yr Anniversary link for info. These may be collectible, but I'll be carrying mine, thank you.

Chris
Old August 23, 2002, 09:47 AM   #12
Snowdog

CWL has a valid point (has a good taste in knives as well). I'll wholeheartedly second Benchmade as a serious contender.

I'm on my second Benchmade Elishewitz Stryker and couldn't be happier. I'm the kind to buy a combat folder and grow tired of it quite readily, finding critical flaws and such. Not so with the Stryker. As with most Benchmades combat folders, it features titanium liners, an ATS-34 blade and G-10 scales. But forget all that, she's as quality as you can possibly imagine from a production knife. Plus, with it's disk stud and superior ergonomics, it opens as fast and fluidly as any switchblade with minimal practice.

The first one? My brother-in-law refuses to give it back... and he's a diehard church-going man.

My only complaint would be the teflon finish. It doesn't stand up to rigorous use. If you decide on the Stryker, opt for the non-coated blade. They really should have chosen titanium nitrate for a blade coating. Again, that's it's only vice, which can be avoided.

If the $90-$100 or so for a Stryker seems too steep, perhaps you'd do well to look into the CRKT Point Guard. It features Zytel scales in lieu of G-10, but she's certainly well made. CRKT is definately a sleeper cutlery shop if I've ever seen one, though seemingly gaining justified recognition. The quality is outstanding, far exceeding what you'd expect from such a reasonable price. Look to spend around $35 for the Point Guard.

Good luck!

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-