The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 10:14 PM   #1
countryfied252

ruger single six 22 mag cylinder

I was wondering if there was any way that i could get a 22 mag cylinder for my ruger single six. I only have the 22 lr and would like to get the mag cylinder. If i am not mistaken, each gun is fitted with a cylinder because of timming.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:23 PM   #2
weblance

Many people will tell you that the cylinders do interchange with no fitting. I have no experience with this, but if you search the forums, you will find many posts from people who were in the same situation as you are, that bought a used cylinder from places like Ebay, or GunBroker, and simply dropped them in and went shooting. If I was in your situation, thats what I would do.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:37 PM   #3
ohen cepel

I have extra cylinders and they have worked in the 2-3 revolvers which I tried them in. Not a large sample size, but a start. I have also read many places that they are usually interchangeable.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in buying one. Would have to look, but I may have one to sell.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old December 12, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Catfish

I found one at a gun show.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:04 PM   #5
jmfc606

You really should measure your cylinder with a caliper. Most of the ones I have will interchange with each other but to buy one without trying it or measuring it is a gamble. Go to www.rugerforum.com and put a WTB in the classified section and you should have a response in a day or so. Depending on weather you have an old model or a new model single six it will runn you from $40 to $125. Good luck!
Old December 12, 2012, 01:28 PM   #6
PetahW

It depends upon two things:

1) When your Single-Six was made, since pre-1961 Single-Six barrel's had .219" bores, and were not bored .221"-.224" for the .22 Mag until the advent of the convertibles in 1962.

Firing the larger mag slug, under somewhat higher pressure/velocity, might present problems - why Ruger went with the larger compromise bore size for the convertibles.

2) There's a finite distance, particular to each revolver (minute in some), between the throat/rear end of the barrel and the rear of the cylinder frame (aka: recoil shield), into which any cylinder must fit exactly, leaving just enough clearance up front for a proper bbl/cylinder gap.

Factory-fitted extra cylinders are not only properly timed, but also fitted to the frame with the proper gap to maintain headspace.

Yes, many cylinders will "drop in", but you almost never hear about the mistakes, where one won't.

If I wanted to buy a used cylinder, I'd measure the length of mine, both at the outer edge and the central arbor, and ask a prospective seller to measure theirs, w/o divulging my measurements.
I would only buy a cylinder exactly the same length or a bit longer (to file/fit), but not shorter - as they're mighty hard to stretch.

Old December 14, 2012, 05:32 AM   #7
Hawg

I bought one off ebay and it worked fine in mine. Same cylinder gap as the mag cylinder and timing was perfect.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Pahoo

Factory, might be your best bet.

My recent experience with this problem is that it's best to send it to Ruger and the cost would be $130.00 and yes, it would have to be fitted. In part, that would indicate that buying one at a Gun Show, is hit and miss. ...

Sad but on more than one occasion, I have seen orphaned cylinders at gun shows. All had serial number engraved and always thought it would be nice to get them back home ...

Be Safe !!!
Old December 15, 2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
My recent experience with this problem is that it's best to send it to Ruger and the cost would be $130.00
+ shipping both ways and if I'm not mistaken they wanted 140 to do mine a year ago. Buy one off ebay for 70 or 80 bucks. If it doesn't work you can always sell it again.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:41 AM   #10
El Bango

I have dropped in many replacement cylinders (in New Model Single-Sixes) without trouble.Sometime there are timing problems with the old models.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Hawgs gun at 25 yards with the magnum cylinder, I adjusted the sights a bit for my eyes and it shoots the same with the regular long rifle cylinder except for elevation. Like he said, no problems.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 1, 2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Hawg

Glad you're happy with it Grump. That's one Ruger I miss.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

Personally, I wouldn't bother.
In 40+ years I have rarely used the mag cylinder in my SS.
With all the high vel .22 ammo on the market you are pretty well covered if you feel a need for more gun.
The shot capsules in the mag size are nice however. I have used to dispatch several snakes and many chipmunks.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Bob Wright

I no longer have a convertable Ruger, but when I did, I appreciated the magnum cylinder.

At that time .22 WRF cartridges were readily available and as I could use these in the magnum cylinder, this is what I used for squirrel hunting. The slightly larger .22 WRF cartridges were easier to handle when my hands were cold.

Bob Wright
Old January 4, 2013, 12:38 AM   #15
bamaranger

mag & hyper ammo

I like the mag cylinder too. And if were going to talk hyper performance .22 lr, lets remember that there are now hyped up. poly tipped .22mags.

My perception is that the mag, even from a handgun, hits harder than conventional .22 by a good bit. My new Christmas chronograph will tell more.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Till I got this gun I hadn't shot any magnum 22's in over 30 years. I forgot how much more potent they were and personally I'm happy to pay the extra for good ammo for it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--