The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2005, 02:38 PM   #1
AlaskaMike

Lee Factory Crimp Die with Jacketed .45 ACP

Recently I've been using the Lee Factory Crimp Die with 200 gr. Laser Cast SWCs and have seen a visible improvement in accuracy and reliability. Those of you who use this die, do you also use it with jacketed bullets, or is it pretty much only worthwhile to use with cast and plated bullets?

Thanks,
Mike
Old October 27, 2005, 04:00 PM   #2
Number 6

My LFCD is the last step for

ALL my handgun ammo; .38 Super, .40 and .45. It assures a more uniform crimp, more uniform case size and greatly reduces the number of feeding failures. Cast, plated or jacketed bullets makes no difference to me; the die IS Station #4.
Old October 27, 2005, 10:23 PM   #3
rwilson452

Lee Factory Crimp Die in .45ACP

I concur with #6 I use it always.
Old October 28, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4
Bullet94

AlaskaMike

Since the taper crimp die is supposed to remove the flare or belling of your cases. I don’t think it matters what kind of bullet you use you still need to remove the flare on your case.
Old October 28, 2005, 10:31 AM   #5
AlaskaMike

Bullet94, I hadn't thought about that, but that makes a lot of sense. In my case, I take out the bell when I seat the bullet. The 200 gr SWCs are actually left with a tiny but visible gap between the case mouth and bullet. However, the jacketed bullets I've recently been using are missing this gap--basically it looks like they've been crimped already (and which is why I posted this question). I'll back out the die just a bit and use the FC die.

The other reason I posted this is because I was curious about something--the cast SWCs are .452, and the casing is very slightly (but visibly) bulged where the bullet is seated in it. The FC die resizes this area. I thought that since the jacketed bullets are a tiny bit smaller diameter (.451), that this resizing might be less important. Doesn't sound like that's the case though.

Thanks!
Mike
Old October 28, 2005, 11:44 AM   #6
crazylegs

No way would I ever use it for cast bullets. Back when I used the FCD, I disovered my cartiridge diameter was being reduced by.001-.0015". Perhaps some even more than that. That tells me that my bullet diameter was also being reduced. Why would I be insistant on my cast bullets being sized at .452 (45 ACP) only to size them down further with the FCD? I also believe that a reduction in case neck tension is possible doing this. I have had absolutely no feed issues using a standard taper crimp die (Hornady).
Crazylegs
Old October 28, 2005, 08:55 PM   #7
Bullet94

AlaskaMike Quote – “In my case, I take out the bell when I seat the bullet.”

If you’ve taken the bell out with your seating die you crimped it with your seating die. Most dies that seat your bullet also will crimp it. I believe the reason people use the separate crimp die is because it is easier to crimp in a different stage than to get your seating die set just right to both seat and crimp in the same die, also some people like the sizing ring on the FC die.

As far as crimping cast bullets I copied this from one of my loading manuals –

Taper crimping should remove any flare left on the case mouth from the neck expanding step and squeeze in the case mouth tightly against the bullet. After the flare is removed from the case mouth the case should not be reduced in diameter by more than .001” or .002”. Any more than this, and the bullet will be deformed in this area. Of course accuracy will then be effected. Cast bullets, especially when made from a soft alloy, are particularly vulnerable.
Old October 29, 2005, 12:13 PM   #8
RERICK

Lee factory die

I agree with with rwilson. I use for all my handgun ammo and I have a good friend that uses it on all his handgun and any thing in rifle that requires a crimp as well.Lead or jacketed it does'nt matter I use on everything.I get nice consistant crimps even if the case is a little longer or shorter.But I'm only talking a thousanth either way.The best thing since peanut butter in my opinion
Old October 30, 2005, 08:29 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

yeah, that die

I use it for every auto-pistol load where it enhances reliability, accuracy and/or consistency, to include lead, plated, and jacketed.

See, I make up a load, then I actually test it through an actual gun. Then I know, ay?