The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2002, 07:43 PM   #1
benewton

Mousegun Ammo

I'm thinking about a P32, and that means .32 ACP at, roughly, $.20/shot, out of the factory box...

On the other hand, with cast slugs and Bullseye, I figure it costs around .05 for a .40 or .45, max, ignoring the time, of course, but with a D650, it doesn't take all that long to load a K.

Does anyone reload the mousers?

Any pointers?
Old December 19, 2002, 11:05 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

The biggest pointer when reloading the little guys?

Watch your fingers!

It's REALLY easy (speaking from experience) to do yourself a very painful injury by getting a finger pinched between the case mouth and the die.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 20, 2002, 09:16 AM   #3
Timothy

benewton:

I load 32 ACP on a single stage press at the rate of about 1 ¼ hrs. per 100 rounds (de-prime, size, expand and flare, prime, charge, seat, and taper crimp). I suppose this is time consuming but I enjoy it. I’m lucky I guess, no pinched fingers yet.

Cost:

New Rem. brass .084
Fed. #100Primer .016
National 77 gr. LRN .027
1.7 gr. 231 .0034
This comes to $ .1304 a round or $ 6.52 for a box of 50 the first time around.
I consider the cost of the brass to be a “one-time” expense so after the first loading the brass is free and then the cost is $ .0464 a round or $ 2.32 a box. For the accountant types: If you were to get at least ten loadings out of your brass and amortized the price of the brass over the ten, the cost would be $ .0548 a round and $ 2.74 a box.
The above does not include and sales taxes or shipping but anyway you slice it, it sure is cheaper than buying factory ammo!

Cost
Old December 20, 2002, 09:47 AM   #4
Master Blaster

I have a dillon 550 but I only wanted a low volume of .32 acp ammo, so here's what I did

I ordered a set of Lee carbide dies and a lee challenger O press, I ordered from a site that was on the Lee precision site, at a discount. The price was $60 shipped for the Challenger set which included the O press and dies.

I ordered 1000 78 grain LRN bullets from Laser cast they are expensive and they shorted me 150 bullets (they did send them when I called and complained)

Next order will be from www.betterbullets.com at a better price.
Cases were scrounged from Target master a commercial range near me, They looked at me funny cuase I usually buy .45 ACP and .357 cases, they dont sell the .32acp even though the ammo is so expensive.

I have made about 400 rounds on the set up at this point . It allows cheap practice. I have not pinched my fingers and fail to see how that could happen since the .32 acp shell holder holds a .32 case just fine.
Old December 20, 2002, 04:14 PM   #5
cheygriz

I reload .25 ACP on a Lyman Orange Crusher. It's a real "Zen" type experience.

I don't shoot enough .25 to justify tooling up the Dillon 650 for it. HOWEVER: If I shot more than 50 rounds per month from the .25 I would definitely tool up the Dillon.
Old December 21, 2002, 02:31 AM   #6
tex_n_cal

cheygriz

so what's like it loading the .25 ACP?

I read somewhere the starting load is 1.1 grains of bullseye and the max load is 1.2 grains.
With top loads & hard cast bullets, a .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 special, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .500 Linebaugh Maximum, and .500 S&W will all shoot through Bison. To select the gun, determine how big a hole you want to put in the Bison, and how much recoil you can stand
Old December 24, 2002, 02:39 PM   #7
benewton

tex-n-cal:
That Bullseye load was my problem using the Dillon, or anything else, for that matter, which uses a powder measure. I guess I can live with a set load (for the .32 71 gr) of 2.1 gr, with 2.0 minimum and 2.2 max, but I would normally like half a grain or so of range: I like safety!
At the same time, hand weighing sounds like a very large pain, to say the least.
I do have the option of changing powders, I guess, but the logistics work fine around here with Bullseye for the pistols (.38 - .45) and WIN 748 for the major rifles (5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 51, both NATO). I don't get max velocity, of course, but I get to buy 8 pound kegs which'll go for a couple of years, and yes, I know I don't practice enough.

Well, we'll see: I don't have the P32 yet, and there's always the .380, and that one I have loaded!
Old December 24, 2002, 09:56 PM   #8
cheygriz

tex,

My load is Remington 50 gr FMJ and 1.1 gr HP-38. That load works well in my Beretta 950, and the HP-38 meters well thru a Redding powder measure, even in that small of a charge. I haven't tried other powdrs or charges.

I generally load .25 ACP when I'm really uptight or have something bugging me. Loading the tiny little .25 rounds takes TOTAL concentration, so it gets your mind away from whatever's bugging you. Since arthritis and diabetes have made my fingers both stiff and numb, it's really an awesome experience!

It's a bitch to do, but there's a great deal of satisfacrion when you've finally loaded 100 rounds in an evening.
Old December 25, 2002, 07:19 AM   #9
benewton

cheygriz:
Believe it or not, while I don't have arthritis, I am diabetic, and my hands have picked up this "cramping" deal in the fingers....
Why do I think that I'll get into this mouse gun reloading and suddenly start thinking "Am I having fun yet???"

I'm currently am set up for, and actively load for all of the weapons I have on hand, except for the 7.62 x 39. That's because I can't buy the bullets for the AK for what I can find loaded ammo for (1K lots, of course).
I may go the lazy man's route with the mousegun, and just shoot factory ammo.
Old December 26, 2002, 06:43 PM   #10
cheygriz

benewton,

If you look hard at the online distributors, you can occassionally find .25 and .32 Winchester white box at excellent prices by the case.

I bought a case of .25, and I'm still using the original brass.

If my fingers get any worse, I just might buy another case of the factory stuff and forget the reloading.

And believe me, my friend, you're not going to have any fun loading this stuff, but it's excellent therapy when you're really uptight, and there's a certain amount of satisfaction (or is it snob appeal?) in doing something that conventional wisdom says you're no longer capable of doing.

Good luck!
Old May 22, 2004, 10:18 PM   #11
Dave R

I traded in my P-32 on a P-3AT specifically because I was set up to reload .380acp. Its about the same as reloading 9mm. Probably a lot easier than .25acp.

You can get cast .380 bullets pretty cheap. I paid $19 per 500 last time around. That's 4 cents each. Powder and primer don't add much more.
Old May 23, 2004, 02:38 PM   #12
Tommy gunn

benewton,

The Lee powder scoops will likely make it easier for you to handload the .25 ACP ammunition.
Old May 24, 2004, 06:22 PM   #13
Peter M. Eick

I will reload down to 380 auto, but you all that load the 32 and 25 acp's, I take my hat off to. You all have for more skill and dexterity then I. Having done the 32 and 25 a few times, I decided that factories would be good enough!