The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2007, 11:51 AM   #1
wlw4281

Building a reloading room from scratch

I have a room I am going to build in my attic for mainly reloading. I would like to have some suggestions and pictures of ideas you guys have had success with in your own reloading space. I am looking for mainly bench designs, and storage space solutions. I use 4 presses, but will get more if the room does not break the bank. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old April 1, 2007, 12:11 PM   #2
rwilson452

my bench

the first reloading bench I made custom used 3/4 melamine doubled. it was glued and screwed together. the screws were installed from the bottom and didn't go all the way thru. legs were 4X4 crossmembers were 2X4. to pu the top to the frame I put pieces of 2X4 flat to the melamine and screwed them on then went all the way thru the cross members in the 2X4 that was already afixed to the top. Where the press was to be put I used more 4X4 under the top and used lug bolts into it from above holding the press on. no flex in the top. when I worked the press. Storage is in cheap three shelf cabinets I picked up at wallmart. I stacked them. small parts and brass I store in recycled soft butter tubs. large and small. For smaller stuff I have used bottles my RX pills come in. Computer labels either printed or hand scribbles for lables. Ackro bins are nice of you can get them cheap. I lucked into some from a hardware store that closed it doors.
Old April 1, 2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Shoney

In the good old summertime, what temperatures do you expect to have in that attic? Just remember that hot temperatures are not good for powder or primer life.

I have seen lots of "Show us your loading bench." type threads in this and other forums, so do a search, you will get lots more input in less time.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 1, 2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Edward429451

I recently upgraded from an old steel computer desk to spanning a whole wall with a built in bench. 4X4's, 2X4's, and 3/4" plywood. It worked great but My 'puter is refusing to install Photoshop so I can't post pic's for the time being.
Old April 1, 2007, 01:52 PM   #5
FM12

Just make sure the bench area where the presses are mounted is HEAVY and STURDY, i.e. NO FLEX in that part. Everything else should be designed for economy of motion. Dont waste time by walking all over your room when you could have planned better to have everything close by. Shoot us a pic when you're through!! FM12
Old April 1, 2007, 04:00 PM   #6
JoeHatley

Quote:
I have a room I am going to build in my attic for mainly reloading.
Not in the attic, but a converted laundry room. I had the remodeling contractor build the bench and stain it to match the other wood trim.

Nothing fancy, just a simple basic bench. 4X4 legs and a couple layers (plywood & pine) for the top. Shelf is a simple 1X10 pine.

Joe
Old April 2, 2007, 10:45 AM   #7
lgsracer

If you are going to build from scratch go big. Here is a bench design heavy enough for swaging and case forming. Courtesy of " The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions (3rd edition)".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bench.pdf (175.4 KB, 228 views)
File Type: pdf bench_002.pdf (250.4 KB, 136 views)
Old April 23, 2007, 01:50 AM   #8
mattgreennra

If you melt lead or tumble in that room I would be sure to install a large exhaust fan.

I'm paranoid about cancer dust personally. I wear a 3m breathing/painting mask when I use my tumbler.

Also there are some cool bins you can get @ lowe's for sorted brass. here's a link.
(my post is towards bottom under "Gnarkill"
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...=218188&page=6