The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2014, 08:05 PM   #1
pollo

30-06 Scope Sliding in Rings

Hello all, I have a scope that is sliding forwards in its rings. I had to shim the scope a lot to get enough elevation; I had to shim it so much that I had 2 shims under the base (if I could have put more shims under the base, I would have, but the screws weren't long enough) and 2 shims in the rings themselves (which I learned the hard way, not to do). Anyways, I noticed that the shims were sliding out while shooting, so I decided to take the scope back off, and epoxy the shims to the rear scope ring, then remount the scope. When I got the scope off, I noticed that the scope was distorted a little where the rear ring was, but I decided to give it another chance; I glued the shims to the rear base, then remounted the scope. So, I shot it again today, and noticed that the epoxy seal/seam had split in two, one piece was up the scope an eighth of an inch, while the other part of the seam was still on the bottom side of the scope ring (sorry this is hard to explain in words). Or in other words, I had found evidence that the scope was STILL moving. I have it on Leupold low rings (I lost the package it come in so I don't know specifically what kind of Leupold rings they are). The rings are on a one piece scope base that came with the gun (it is a Marlin XL7 30-06). What to do, what to do?

Thanks for any help.

Pollo
Old January 25, 2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Snyper

Quote:
What to do, what to do?
Take the shims out of the rings. and get longer screws so all the shimming is under the base.

Unless you're shooting VERY long range all the time, I'm not sure why you need shims at all
Old January 25, 2014, 09:01 PM   #3
n8ball

did u locktite the screws the first time u tried it?
Old January 25, 2014, 09:27 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The old solution, if all else fails, was rosin, as in baseball's "rosin bag".

Jim
Old January 25, 2014, 09:48 PM   #5
pollo

Okay, thanks guys. I'll try everything y'all listed.

Thanks

Pollo
Old January 26, 2014, 02:15 AM   #6
hoghunting

Or you could try the Burris Signature rings and you'll probably need the offset insert kit. The polymer inserts will align the scope to the barrel and will correct shimming the base. The inserts will also keep the scope from moving.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...ignature+rings