The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
FLChinook

At last, a slide my wife can work...

I just looked at the Sig 2022 (9mm). The slide action is smooth and easy enough for my wife. The slide release is the size of an axe handle and easily releases the slide without having to work the slide to release tension. The de-cocker works as good as a manual safety. It has all the features my wife has been looking for.

I just wish it was a scoash smaller. It fits her hand to perfection though so unless someone can recommend something else with these features (easy slide open, easy slide release, manual safety), we're off to Cabella's tomorrow.

PS. The Beretta Storm's manual safety hurts my wife's hand when working the slide. We haven't been able to try a S&W M&P with manual safety but this model without the manual safety did not seem to have as smooth a slide as the Sig.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:14 PM   #2
CurlyQ.Howard

CZ75SP01-Shadow - not small, but it has: easy slide open, easy slide release, manual safety.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:21 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Nothing wrong with a SP2022 if that's what she wants.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 29, 2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Will Beararms

It's all in the technique. She needs to bring the pistol in close just above her navel and parallel to her torso. She uses and overhand grip at the rear of the slide pushing in the opposite directions.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:27 PM   #5
FLChinook

Quote:
It's all in the technique. She needs to bring the pistol in close just above her navel and parallel to her torso. She uses and overhand grip at the rear of the slide pushing in the opposite directions.
I agree.. in principle. There've been a number of good threads/articles on this topic and the concept is very helpful. My wife has espoused this technique to good effect but she still prefers a "softer" slide... given the choice.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:44 PM   #6
redhologram

Quote:
I agree.. in principle. There've been a number of good threads/articles on this topic and the concept is very helpful. My wife has espoused this technique to good effect but she still prefers a "softer" slide... given the choice.
I have just picked up two new Sig's. The P238 and P938 this week. The slides are very easy, smooth as glass on both of them. One thing I have had to do is learn to be easier with the slides. lol I wanted something smaller than the 9mm I had for some of my summer weight clothing and the P238 fits the bill perfectly for my body contours and size. The P938 isn't too much bigger than the P238, but you get the 9mm caliber. It does print noticeably on me, however, in lighter weight clothes, and I'm on the search for a solution for that. I haven't had the 2022 in my hands to see how it works or feels, however so I can't give you any feedback to compare.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Technique. I don't think there was ever a slide she physically could not work. But glad that there's one that she finds easier to do so. Good choice too! Congrats brother.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:41 PM   #8
COHotspur

+1. I own an SP2022 (357), and it is a great gun; it's very easy to use and maintain.
Old March 30, 2013, 05:05 AM   #9
mxsailor803

I wish more people would chime in on the SP2022's. I'm considering one to go along with my 226, 229, and 250. I think i'm coming down with a SIG sickness
Old March 30, 2013, 05:23 AM   #10
JimmyR

If the safety is the problem on the PX4, why not get the d-type (DAO, no safety)?
Old March 30, 2013, 10:25 AM   #11
FLChinook

Quote:
I think i'm coming down with a SIG sickness
There is no cure for this... but there are intervention groups. Or else you might try putting your hand in a machinist vise and squeezing until your fingers bulge out; then make yourself promise to not get another SIG for the next six months. Of course, you will forget having made this promise as soon as the pain in your hand subsides...

Quote:
If the safety is the problem on the PX4, why not get the d-type (DAO, no safety)?
A reasonable suggestion but I only like DAO on my mousegun...
Old March 30, 2013, 11:06 AM   #12
Dragline45

Quote:
I wish more people would chime in on the SP2022's. I'm considering one to go along with my 226, 229, and 250. I think i'm coming down with a SIG sickness
Really no reason to get a SP2022 when you already have a 226 and 229. The SP2022 is a good gun, but the 226 and 229 are higher quality.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:17 AM   #13
FLChinook

2022 vs 226?

I have not handled a 226 (Cabelas did not have one) but it looks like a candidate for my wife.

It looks like the slide release lever is shorter than on the 2022. Can someone who has a 226 say whether the slide can be released easily using the lever (without having to release some of the pressure by pushing back on the slide)?
Old March 30, 2013, 12:54 PM   #14
sigarms228

2022 vs 226?

Quote:
I have not handled a 226 (Cabelas did not have one) but it looks like a candidate for my wife.

It looks like the slide release lever is shorter than on the 2022. Can someone who has a 226 say whether the slide can be released easily using the lever (without having to release some of the pressure by pushing back on the slide)?
I have both P226 and SP2022. If you want to drop the slide after inserting another loaded magazine you just have to press down on the slide release.

Both are teriffic pistols but I prefer shooting my P226 a little more as it fits my hand perfectly especially with the SIG aluminum grips.

If I was looking for a 9MM pistol with a safety it would be a HK. I will probably be getting a P30L before too much longer.

Good luck!
Old March 30, 2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Dragline45

Quote:
Great thing about the 226 or 229 if you get one for your wife is the SRT trigger, or short reset trigger. Some people with smaller hands have trouble reaching the trigger for that first DA shot, the SRT trigger that Sig offers makes it an easier reach for smaller handed people.

Even though I said the 226 and 229 are higher quality than the SP2022 in an earlier post, don't take it as the SP2022 is not high quality. The SP2022's are great pistols, and probably the single best deal out there right now. For the price you really cannot find a better gun.
Old March 30, 2013, 06:17 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Great thing about the 226 or 229 if you get one for your wife is the SRT trigger, or short reset trigger. Some people with smaller hands have trouble reaching the trigger for that first DA shot, the SRT trigger that Sig offers makes it an easier reach for smaller handed people.
The SRT does not reduce the reach. That is the Short Trigger you're thinking of that is thinner than the standard and does make a noticeable difference for trigger reach. The SRT simply shortens the reset,
Old March 30, 2013, 07:25 PM   #17
dakota.potts

My mom got the P238 for this reason. She has systemic Lupus which affects her joints and held all the ones in the display case until she found one that she could work the action on with no trouble.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:52 PM   #18
t45

A few months ago my wife and I went to our LGS. I bought her a SR9 and I bought myself a SP2022 in 40 cal. Both are great guns. Cant go wrong with either or both.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:08 AM   #19
mxsailor803

I may not need a SP2022 but I also don't need 6 Ruger 10/22's lol. Besides it would be for my wife
Old April 1, 2013, 09:56 AM   #20
FLChinook

Another visit to Cabela's and they now have a Sig 226 for my wife to compare. Of course, while I'll get up at the crack of dawn to browse for ammo shipments, my wife is more discerning... so she'll have to go back with me today but at a more civilized hour

The 226 is slightly heavier (though not so much as I expected); has a half-inch longer barrel (but is only about 1/4" longer overall); has night sights; has a slight curve to the backstrap; and most importantly, a shorter slide release lever which requires either a harder tug to release the slide or else the tension on the slide needs to be slightly reduced with a backward tug on the slide for the release to work easily. The slide release lever on the 2022 is about 2" long (or more) and gives a huge leverage so the slide can easily be released without having to touch the slide.

There's also the matter of $500 more for the 226...

I'll post later which, if either, my wife chooses...
Old April 1, 2013, 10:10 AM   #21
FLChinook

I forgot to mention, the 2022 seems to have a cast steel de-cocker whilst the 226 has a stamped steel piece. Odd that they put the higher-quality piece on the cheaper weapon...
Old April 1, 2013, 10:30 AM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
I forgot to mention, the 2022 seems to have a cast steel de-cocker whilst the 226 has a stamped steel piece. Odd that they put the higher-quality piece on the cheaper weapon
The decocker on the P-series pistols has been there for years. It's not a problem.

If you wife likes the SP2022, get it. Not much more to add.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:40 PM   #23
FLChinook

And the final answer was...

SIG 2022!!... and she's very happy.

It turns out the only thing that mattered was the ability to easily release the slide and the long, slide release lever on the 2022 seems to work this task without equal.

The salesman did suggest she look at (after I suggested the 2022 was the best value for money gun in it's class) the similar Ruger. She absolutely could not work the slide release on that gun; the salesman then suggested all she had to do was to release the clip, turn the gun in a safe direction (like it always should be anyway), pull back on the slide and it would quickly slam forward. My wife looked at him like she looks at me when I've said something stupid and asked why she should buy a gun that took 3 steps and 5 seconds to do what another gun would do in one step and one second...

Now if we can just find some more 9mm ammo...
Old April 1, 2013, 09:48 PM   #24
DMBAMA

I think she is going love it.Mine is very accurate and eats anything i feed it.It has great ergos also.
Old April 2, 2013, 01:25 PM   #25
CDW4ME

Interesting.
Some slides are simply easier to rack given equivalent technique.
Sounds like a good choice.