Old February 10, 2013, 05:46 AM   #1
Josh Smith

Mosin Rear Peep... Whatcha' Think?

Hello,

Thanks,

Josh
Old February 10, 2013, 06:08 AM   #2
kozak6

It's an old idea. There were commercially available versions of this decades ago.

I'm a bit curious how well it works. There is a lot of wiggle in the striker on my Mosin when cocked, and I wonder how close it returns to the same spot every time I cycle it.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Josh Smith

It does hold zero due to the horizontal slack adjustment screw.

Regards,

Josh
Old February 11, 2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Josh Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFoGK3XsApk

Please excuse the surroundings and the picture quality. I did this at home, not the shop, in response to some concerns that the cocking piece will move on the x and y axis and not only the z axis. The first part demonstrates that I have a standard sear, while the second and third parts give different views of the striker knob dropping.

You will see that the cocking piece only travels in the direction it's supposed to.

Regards,

Josh
Old February 15, 2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Josh Smith

Hi Folks,

I've been asked by folks here and elsewhere for a range report for this sight.

Conditions were about 34F, light wind, and overcast with snow flurries turning into snow showers.

Distance was 75 or 80 yards. Though I lasered it at 75 yards, my shooting position changed enough to extend the range a bit. It may not be 80 yards, but it's close. I've not done the math as I don't believe there's enough difference to matter.

I used for the first time a new handload. My accuracy load is 51.2 grains H4350 pushing a 174 grain Hornady Match. I need to ladder test the SMK/Varget load before declaring it as good as the Hornady Match/H4350 load, but went ahead and shot it for these groups as I was out of the Hornady loads.

I'm starting with the second group first.

Around playing card size, 10 shots, 2 fliers.

I shot this group in a snow shower. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm still getting over a cold. I was laying on a wet blanket with snow covering me and breath discipline had gone from difficult to near-impossible.

Now that the above embarrassment is out of the way, here is the first group:

Well inside the size of a playing card.

Well inside the size of a playing card, I really didn't need to work at this group. I just started flinging lead downrange. Natural respiratory pause was more like natural respiratory *cough*, so I did have a few problems. All-in-all though, for a fast-acquisition ghost ring style sight, this was acceptable.

Will this rifle shoot better? Yes, it will. It was not the fault of the hardware, but rather an inability to control my breathing as well as I usually can.

Even with the fliers, both these groups are on par with many Mosin groups I've seen posted around, and better than many.

I hope to get back out again soon, cold-free on a sunny day, to see what I can really do with this new rear sight.

I hope this has satiated some curiosity. Questions are more than welcome as I'm sure I've left some things out; I'm just not in that "writer's zone" I usually find myself in when I write reports of this nature.

Thanks,

Josh
Old February 17, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
PawPaw

I've seen the same thing done with a sling swivel and a drill press in Junior's spare bedroom, although yours has some neat touches that Junior's doesn't have.

Good work!

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 24, 2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Josh Smith

Hello,

I'm currently in the office/workshop. Orwell is on internet radio, and I'm filling sight orders.

I've also prototyped an interchangeable aperture rear peep. The first size is 3/32", which is my favorite size peep sight.

Pictures to follow later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Regards,

Josh
Old February 26, 2013, 01:12 AM   #8
Josh Smith

The existing ghost ring is about 0.125". This aperture shown is 0.094.

I don't really like the 0.094" as it just falls in between ghost ring and not-ghost-ring, and if I go to production, the standard aperture size will be about 0.063 or so to start with, anyway.

I still like the ghost ring as it holds the front sight hood centered perfectly, but I understand those who desire the smaller aperture and will be trying it out myself shortly, before I start making it.

Also included is a slightly improved lockup to return the cocking piece to perfect zero every time.

I'm not sure it's needed, but it's there as a redundancy.

I'm also trying to watch the complexity as complexity = weight = slower lock time, which we don't want.

Josh