The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2013, 07:12 AM   #1
trapper300RUM

Which Lee Press Pro 1000 Or The Lee Classic Turret

My son & I have used the Pro 1000 & know how to keep it going BUT my new son-in law hasn't even shot a gun untill he became a part of our family .The thing is the 2 presses belonged to my cousin & he wanted them back so now i hcan only affors one of the two & i don't want Mark to be confused & as we all know that the Pro 100 can be a handful to keep working correctly so which should stat him out on he is a smart man & he does learn fast I jusy want to know what you fellas think
Old February 23, 2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Vance

I would opt for the Lee Classic Turret. It gives you four spots for dies and the primer system works a lot better than on the pro 1000.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I love my Classic turret.

I've never used a Pro 1000 but, from what I've read, I wouldn't want to. YMMV.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Here's my story

1: Learning on a progressive is like learning to walk wearing roller skates. It can be done, but it is a lot easier in shoes (single stage or turret).

Of course, you can load one cartridge at a time on the progressive until all the steps are understood easily enough.

2: If he only loads one caliber, a toss-up. If he might load more than one, the Classic Turret. Caliber swaps are MUCH easier on the turret.

I started loading with a single stage press. But I wanted more production speed. I happened upon a guy who had a pair of Pro-1000 presses, so I traded some stuff to him for those. I used those for a few decades.

I did not ever get comfortable with monitoring multiple simultaneous operations. At the end of a loading session, I was a nervous wreck (but never loaded a faulty round unawares but once when I ran my powder measure empty).

So, a couple of years ago I overhauled my loading bench and replaced almost everything except my scale and my single-stage press. I did a lot of research and settled on the Lee Classic Turret.

I am much happier now, my production rate actually has not suffered and at the end of a loading session I am relaxed and refreshed as well as well stocked.

Good luck to all of you.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; February 23, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:14 PM   #5
TheBigO

I have a Classic turret a Pro 1000 and a Dillon 650. If you buy a Pro 1000 you will spend more time trying to get it to run then reloading. I love the Classic Turret and think that is is great for someone getting into reloading. The Pro 1000 that I have is back in a box not even worth the bench space. I refuse to sell it because I wish its problems on no one.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:52 PM   #6
chiefr

Concur with BigO
Classic turret is a winner and a bargain for the price.
My experiance with the Pro 1000 is negative and I can go into details if neccessary. With constant tinkering needed to make ammo with the 1000, I found reloading was just as fast with a single stage.
I sold the 1000 at a loss to an aquaintance who was fully knowledgeable of the problems with it. He too had the same issues.
Made the plunge to Dillon many years ago. Although Dillon cost more, I consider ot a lifetime investment.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Striker1

OP,

I think you already answered your own question, the Classic Turret is the way to go. Use it as a semi-progressive or remove the index bar and use it like a singe stage. I really don't see a down side based on your needs.