The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Finding discontinued Remington 700 parts...

I'm trying to shorten the barrel on an old Remington 700 ( bottom dumper ) to switch calibers from 17 Remington, to 17 Fireball... I tried calling Remington looking for a mag follower & spring... talked to their parts department, who refered me to Numerich... Numerich had the mag box, but no followers or springs...

since I found an artical that talked about changing over a 308 to 6 mm BR, & they mentioned using a 221 Fireball follower & spring ( yes I also looked for both in my searches ) I thought the bench rest guys might have an aftermarket source or one of you guys may have an idea about where to get some parts ???

I also thought about fitting the CZ changable mags, but the floor plate is not steel & would mean changing out more parts to have a weldable machinable part to do that conversion...

any suggestions...
Old May 24, 2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Don P

Try here, www.e-gunparts.com
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks... but that is Numerich, who I already list in my original post, is who Remington refered me to, & who doesn't have the mag springs or followers, only the blocked mag box, which I can easily make...
Old May 26, 2012, 08:57 AM   #4
GunCat

You might try Jack First. You'll have to call and ask (no online inventory status) but they often have hard to find parts.

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/index.php
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
Fred Bear 1902-1988
Old May 29, 2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I'll give them a call... thanks
Old May 30, 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the recommendation CAT... they had the parts I was looking for...

new 17 Fireball on my 60's era heavy barrel 17 Remington model 700... 17 Remington barrel was shot out, so I'm doing a new barrel as well, but it'll be nice to have the mag blocked to the correct length cartridges

finding reloading components has almost been as tough... I finally found cases... ( already had a big supply of bullets from FIL's shooting of 17 Remington, & my 17 K Hornet )... still waiting on the Hornady dies, with the sliding bullet alignment collar ( getting the lil 17 pills lined up right can be a challenge... these new Hornady dies are supposed to take care of that )...