The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 15, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Win73

Future big rack

I got this picture on one of my game cameras. Take a look at the antlers on the one facing the camera. At least four of the five deer in the picture are bucks. Compare his antlers to the other bucks. If his rack is already that large on May 6, what will it be when the season opens in mid October? I will have from mid October through January to get him. That is my shooting house you can see in the background of the picture. The distance from the shooting house to the deer is 75 yards. The bare spot on the right edge of the picture is a salt lick. A corn field begins right behind my shooting house.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Doyle

I doubt if he will be exceptional this year. Look at the relative size of his neck. It is still pretty thin so I think he is still young.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3
fatwhiteboy

Oh. Deer. I thought you were going to post a picture of Christine Hendricks when she was ten....
Old May 16, 2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Saltydog235

He's young yet. Might show a decent growth of bone but I'd let him grow some if possible, looks sort of light in the body but I can't see all of him either. Its still early yet to speculate, he may have dropped early and have an earlier growth cycle from the others.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:18 PM   #5
pbrktrt

He's still a pencil neck. Give him a few years. The potential looks to be there if he survives.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Gossettc68

My in-laws have what they call their " Pet Deer " ( I call the lunch =P ) that roam around their property and every night, never fails they come up to the window to the living room and stare at them wanting my in-laws to throw them some sliced up apples.

Most of the deer that come up close are females and children, the bucks linger right inside the treeline and very rarely come out. I do have permission to take them down during season though I just can't bring myself to do it. Not very sportsman like.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Keg

Quote:
That is my shooting house you can see in the background of the picture.
I guess a shooting house is a deer stand?
Old May 17, 2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I agree with the others. He is a bit small of the body yet. He looks to have a lot of potential as he ages though.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:27 PM   #9
farmerboy

I'd shoot him while he's still young. He'd make for better eating.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Win73

Quote:
I guess a shooting house is a deer stand?
Yes. It is completely enclosed with a roof. What you can see is the front which is also the door. The front has a hinged panel which I open to see and shoot through. If it rains while I am hunting I stay completely dry. Here is a picture taken by the trail camera while I was inside hunting. You can see the shooting portal open. No, I didn't shoot the doe.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old May 24, 2012, 03:44 PM   #11
dwright1951

Looks like your game cam is in a dangerous place.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Win73

Quote:
Looks like your game cam is in a dangerous place.
Yes, it could be. I just have to keep in mind where it is when I shoot at a deer.

I shoot Remington 150 grain CoreLokt in my .30-06. Sometimes I get an exit hole, sometimes I don't. But I have fired it nine times at deer and have killed nine deer with it. All one shot kills. Some ran but none more than about 100 yards. Some dropped in their tracks.

Actually even though in two years I have killed six deer on that property, none were from that shooting house. I have another shooting house and two ladder stands on the property. I have killed one deer each from the two ladder stands and four from the other shooting house.