The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2012, 10:43 PM   #26
tobnpr

As mentioned above, it often helps to go 1/2- 3/4 turn past contact with the shellplate.

I didn't have a chambering issue, but I was checking headspace with a gauge for a bolt gun and wanted to bump the shoulders back .002 less than the fireformed brass. Couldn't make it happen.

Then someone suggested what I did above. There can still be some "slack" when you adjust for light contact. Adjust it so that it really cams over hard- and it'll bump the shoulders back.

The cautionary note above is legit, although I really don't think the manufacturers' tolerances will allow for enough bump to cause a headspace issue unless you've done some grinding on the die base...

Best to get a heaspace gauge, then you know for sure. Can't beat the Hornady Lock N Load:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...h-Body-1-Each/

And, you should go with small base sizing dies for an AR. Guarantee it'll help with the sizing issues.

Last edited by tobnpr; February 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:24 PM   #27
ctrain831

Problem solved......hopefully

I believe I've fixed the issue. A trip to the range this afternoon will tell. It was definitely a neck tension issue. I had adjusted the sizing die's decapping/expander screw improperly. After re-reading adjustment instructions I saw where I made my mistake. It was a stupid one, considering I'd adjusted the .308 dies properly, I don't know why I screwed up the .223. I guess I wasn't focused. Thanks to all for the tips. Most of you had the problem pegged. This time I'm taking the first 20 rounds to the range before I start cranking 'em out. Another lesson learned the hard way. I'll let u know how it goes. Thanks
Old February 18, 2012, 04:03 AM   #28
HiBC

ctrain,I live in FtC.PM me.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:05 AM   #29
ctrain831

Problem officially solved!

The new cartridges work great. It was definitely a neck tension issue. Thank you for all of the assistance, it definitely pointed me in the right direction and gave me a deeper understanding of the inner workings of the sizing/expander die. I was going through the motions without proper understanding. Now comes the fun of bullet pulling and reloading all of the screw-up rounds - a small price to pay for a valuable lesson. Also...taking the NRAs metallic cartridge reloading course next month to get some further knowledge.

HiBC - Good to know there's a veteran in the area that willing to share some expertise. I'm sure I'll need a hand in the future and will PM you when the time comes.

Tags
223 , failure , reload , vmax