The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2011, 09:16 AM   #1
moneypit

XDM (xdm9211hcsp) failure to feed question

My wife enjoyed shooting the Sig P228 I just picked up as my first handgun and went on a search for a pistol of her own. After looking at more than 20 models and many calibers she decided on an XDM 9mm.

We picked up a 1-2 month old XDM 9mm, full frame, Bi-tone that had "a couple hundred rounds through it". All the factory paraphernalia was unopened. After shooting four magazines, it was failing to feed the next round. First time was three rounds in a row. I ejected the magazine, tried the second magazine and same thing about five shots in with a failure to feed a couple more times. I sprayed some cleaner/lubricant in the gun wiped it down and it shot a couple trouble free magazines and then the next couple magazines it failed to feed at least once each magazine.

When we were done for the day, I field stripped, cleaned, lubed and reassembled the pistol and magazines. Anything else I should look at before our next time out?

We were using wallmart 124g, same as through the Sig P228 with no issues at all there.

Thanks in advance for any insight and tips to prevent future occurences of this problem.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:32 AM   #2
morrisammo

wallmart 124g, don't know what that is..

try another brand,, Win 115 white box,, 100rnd pack,,

factory ammo should run just fine,,

I have two XDM's that shoot any ammo,, Factory or my reloads,
SWC,, Rn's and 147gr, Flat point's

Last edited by morrisammo; March 21, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
jsk

I've had an XDm9 for a couple years,approaching 2,000 rounds of various different brands of cheap range ammo and expensive HPs, and have never ever had any kind of stoppage, even when it was brand new. I'd try it out again and if you experience the same issues, contact SA for repairs. From what I understand, their CS is excellent and repairs should be quick and free.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:38 AM   #4
EdInk

Inspect the magazines. Take them apart and clean them. Most problems with high quality semiautos are magazine related. The XD factory mags are very good though. Try some 115gr FMJ ammo BUT my XD will shoot just about any garbage ammo under the sun without any problems.

Send it in to Springfield Armory if that doesn't work. They have pretty good customer service.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:41 AM   #5
morrisammo

hmmmmmm

check your mags,,,

XD mags

And

XDM mags are not the same,,,

make sure you have the right mag,, for the gun,.,
Old March 21, 2011, 10:36 AM   #6
moneypit

So, the "Walmart" Ammo is the orange/black box labeled "9mm Luger" sold at Walmart and is the only 124g they offer (at least near me).

Both Mags are the XDM factory mags but I did notice the Mag follower on each has a "groove" (more like a shallow cut). They are rough and definitely don't belong there.

Now that the gun and mags are clean, I'll try a different ammo, try to locate two new Mag followers locally and then try some of the ammo suggested.
Old March 21, 2011, 05:35 PM   #7
cougar gt-e

Clean mags make the difference. A cut or groove should have a corresponding metal booger on some part of the mag body. Try to find and remove that too.
Old March 21, 2011, 06:14 PM   #8
mrgoodwrench76

I would suspect a magazine problem as well. My XDM has never failed in any respect in about 5k. About 1k of which were the orange and black box stuff you mentioned from walmart.
Old March 22, 2011, 01:39 AM   #9
Eagle0711

Id' call customer sercice. That is very unusual. They might fix it for free or send you the part thats defective. Before doing that buy a box Winchester White box 124 ball { Full metal jacket }. I believe that Wal-mart carries it.

Make sure that you are holding the gun as you would a firm handshake with a stiff wrist as though punchin a heavy bag. Good Luck, Eagle

The fact that someone sold it tells me there could be a problem. Extractor?
Old March 22, 2011, 06:06 AM   #10
voyager4520

The fact that it happened with multiple magazines suggests the extractor doesn't have the right tension, it's probably too tight. RWS 124gr should cycle fine in any gun, so I'd suspect the extractor tension first.

It could also be that the guide rod spring is weak. It shouldn't happen with a gun that's only had "a few hundred rounds through it", but doesn't every used gun have "only a few hundred rounds through it"?

It might even be that the previous owner put aftermarket parts, aftermarket guide rod and magazine springs in the gun. I might even suspect that the previous owner dropped the magazines on the ground thereby putting them out-of-spec in various places but that's about the last thing I'd suspect.

The groove in the follower is normal. The lip of the casing of a cartridge scratches a groove into the follower to a certain extent, then it stops. As long as there are no pieces of plastic hanging off of that groove and there are no shavings of plastic from that area fallen down into the magazine interfering with the follower rising, it's not a problem.

Here's a picture of it, it happens with pretty much every plastic follower: http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...s/DSC00198.jpg

Now in that picture at the far right of the follower you'll notice a little burr of plastic that could interfere with the cartridge feeding smoothly. I'd remove that burr.

Last edited by voyager4520; March 22, 2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old March 26, 2011, 07:00 PM   #11
moneypit

Voyager

We haven't had a chance to give it another try since cleaning the gun and mags. It is entirely possible it has seen more than a couple hundred rounds but, it was only about seven weeks old from when sold new by the same gun dealer who had the original paperwork.

The plastic followers look just like the picture you posted with at least as large a plastic burr on each. I'll remove the burrs too.

Thank you for the additional advice and possibilities.
Old March 27, 2011, 09:47 AM   #12
moneypit

Pictures

Doesn't look worn to me, this is after my wife put 150 rounds through it:

Theres a lot of cotton fibers showing up in the pictures, I just quickly wiped it down before the pictures.

After removing the burr

Tags
failure , feed , xdm9