The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Falcon642

Recommend a reloading manual

Looking to push the envelope a bit, here's what I reload for:

Rifles:
.270 in a Belgium Browning semi-auto (built in the 70's)
.243 in Winchester Model 70 (Built in the early 80's)
.300 Savage in an old model 99 (built in the late 50s, not looking to push the envelope with this gun, its a family heirloom)
.223 in a standard AR-15

Pistols
.40 in a Beretta 96
.40 in a Springfield .40 Subcompact
.380 in a Bersa Thunder
.357 in a Smith and Wesson N Frame

My dad uses Speer Reloading Manual Nine for all of his reloading work, I like that manual because the max loads are quite a bit more than new manuals, but have all been safe from my experience. Problem is Manual Nine was published in the 70s before the .40 S&W was invented.

So is there a better manual out there for my purposes than Speer #9? What about a good manual that will help me push the envelope with my .40?

Thanks for the help, let me know if I am too vague and you need more information to answer my questions.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:42 PM   #2
A_Gamehog

Hornady has a new manual that came out last month. It includes most of the recent powder releases and cartridges. I just ordered it today from Graff's. I have all the older books and new ones also, remember powder formulations have changed since the 70's, what was safe then might be borderline now or worse. The gold standard of loading books is Sierra, conservative yes, but they also give accuracy load info on every weapon loaded. Lyman's book # 49 is also a good one for reloading.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Cowboy_mo

Manuals

I really like my Lyman 49th edition manual. They list loads for many different powders and bullets.

I have also found when it comes to the max loads, if you think they may be light you can check the website for the powder maker.

IMR, Winchester, and Hodgdon website also list loads using their powders and various bullets online.

I have a personal fear of buying a bullet mfg's manual. I am afraid they will lonly list loading data using their bullets. That's fine if you aren't interested in experimenting with different bullets as I am as a new reloader.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
semi_problomatic

Why just 1? I try to buy every one I can get my hands on. Depends on the bullets I use. I like hornady for my rifle because I mostly use V-max bullets.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Wag

I prefer to use more than one. At the moment, I have four.

Speer
Lyman
Hornady
Lyman Cast bullet manual

Nice to be able to cross-reference from time to time.

--Wag--
Old January 4, 2011, 10:18 PM   #6
jmortimer

Get a subscription to Load Data. It has everything plus all the loads from Handloader Magazine.
Old January 4, 2011, 10:53 PM   #7
testuser

I have four manuals...

Sierra
Hornady
Speer
Lee

If I had to choose one it would probably be Hornady, followed closely by Speer. I tend to use Alliant powders and since they own Speer they duplicate the loads on their website.

When it comes to free load data, I like the Accurate Arms manual. It lists a lot of bullet types, includes pressures and is in .pdf format.

I always sanity check loads found in the books with those from powder manufacturers. As much as you might like Speer 9, chances are some of the powders have changed or, more than likely, more accurate pressure readings are now possible. Manufacturers change the formulation of powders slightly over time, which can change their burn characteristics.

I had an old Hornady manual from 1980 once and some of the loads (.30-06, I believe) were actually lighter than my more modern books. Weird, right? I always read on these sites that lawyers right the powder manuals or something, turns out that's not always the case.

Last edited by testuser; January 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:11 PM   #8
HiBC

Find a store that has opened looky-loo copies of the manuals out and look at them.Then buy the ones that have the info you need.I use Sierra bullets.I buy the new Sierra book every few years.
(Sierra has an update service,they will send you new pages for your binder)
I use Nosler bullets.I keep a current Nosler manual.I also have a LaserCast manual.I like Hogdon powder. my 2011 magazine format Hogdon annual is in a truck on its way to my house.I have focused in on the 75 gr Hornady match bullet for my AR.I bought a Hornady book because they have seperate data for AR-15 service rifle.
Buy the data that supports the bullets or powder you use.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:43 PM   #9
golfnutrlv

I have the latest Speer book, and the Hornady 7th (not the new one). I honestly use the Speer manual more than the Hornady. I load a lot of Hornady bullets, so it makes sense.

I also consult the reloading manuals both online, and print from the powder companies I use, mostly Hodgdon and IMR. They have a good free data source as well.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Kevin Rohrer

Buy the manuals for the powders and bullets you use. Also get the Lyman. If you use Lee stuff, their manual is supposed to be excellent.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 5, 2011, 08:39 AM   #11
old_folks

A long time reloader here and I have the Hornady, Speer, and Sierra manuals. Some of them go back to the latel '50s and 60's. My preference is the latest Sierra. It contains volumes of information beside the reloading formulas.
I agree that you should have more than one manual.

Old_folks
Old January 5, 2011, 11:02 AM   #12
Saltydog235

Get at least 3.

I use Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Barnes and the Hogdon Annual. You'll be suprised at the differences from the Hogdon to the others for the same loads. Bullet Manufacturers seem to be playing way on the safe side of things.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:38 PM   #13
700cdl

I do like the Hornady and also the individual manuals specific to that cartridge. I have a bunch of them and they have a very comprehensive degree of data from bullets manufacturer's and powder manufacturer's. The cartridge manuals are about $7 per cartridge specific book, but I think they are worth every penny.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:43 PM   #14
700cdl

Falcon642, Have you tried using Longshot for your 40s? It will really get what that cartridge has to offer out of it. I'm loading for the XDM using Longshot and velocities are in the near 1300 fps with the 155 grain XTP.