The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 30, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1
jbennet3200

SKS problem?

Hi, i just picked up a Norinco the other day. Had planned on shooting it a little this coming weekend so i stripped it down to clean and inspect everything. It has obviously been shot plenty due to the amount of carbon deposit and overall gunk. I took the gas tube off and was going to take the rod out when i realized that it fit very tight. I took a screwdriver and pushed it out(took more force than i would like). Cleaned all the black deposits off of it and inside the tube. Put it back in and it was still very tight, it will move but takes a fair amount of force to move it. I checked the rod to see if it was bent but it is straight, i held up the tube itself and noticed at the point where the big end and smaller end meet at the handguard it has a slight curve to it, making the rod off-center where it pushes through the back to hit the operating rod and spring. Now this rifle has been shot and looks like its never been cleaned, so i have no idea if it has always been that way and still functions or if they somehow bent the gas tube (without breaking the handguard) and decided to sell it rather than see if it still works. Anyone else had a similar problem? I dont want the gas tube to blow up in my face the first time i shoot it.
Old December 30, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2
guncrank

It will not blow up.
The bullet has left the barrel by the time the gas vents up the gas tube.
Only a small amount of gas is used to push back gas piston and that is vented to atmosphere after it impinges the face of the piston.
If anything you may have feeding problems.
CEW
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old December 30, 2010, 01:29 PM   #3
jbennet3200

I was mainly worried that when the gas hit the rod, the rod wouldnt move and the gas would have nowhere to go except to burst out where the tube meets the vent. I had anticipated the feeding problem as well, since it may not have enough force to push the bolt all the way back.