The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 18, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
more_bullets

how can I confirm that my address has been updated on my license to carry a handgun?

I'm an Indiana resident and I have a lifetime carry permit. I just moved to a new house, (same county) and I sent my change of address request papers to the state police after the 60 day period your suppossed to. So here's the question...how can I confirm that they have done this? And how can I find out when I can start carrying again? I've looked all over the internet and even called the state police firearms division and not gotten any help! Thanks!
Old October 18, 2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Fishing_Cabin

Since you said the State Police didn't help when you called, I would say stop by your local police or sheriff's department, ask to speak with an officer or deputy, then explain the address update to them, and ask politely if they can confirm your permit has the updated address.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:27 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

address ? ....

Did you request a brand new permit or card?
In some states/counties, your home of record(address) isn't required as long as the carry license/firearm permit is still valid.
When I lived in PA in the 1990s, I looked into it & was informed that address changes are not mandatory. That SOP may have changed since then.
In most cases, a sworn LE officer or trooper may ask you if the information is current, if its not, they'll just check the data you provide.
Most working cops know that 98/99% of citizens who are honest, compliant(non threatening) or not gang members/career criminals are not a major threat or problem.
Some LE officers do like to "lecture" citizens or talk down to them but that's rare. Their main concern is officer safety & not having a traffic stop turn into a 6-8 hour ordeal.
If you get any formal emails or confirmation letters of your address change, you might want to print that out & keep a copy in your vehicle/glove box. It will give you a few "bona fides" to support your statements.
Old October 18, 2013, 07:41 PM   #4
cjwils

Years ago I asked a similar question at a county sheriff's office in Washington state. I was told (back then anyway) that my concealed carry license was somehow tied to my driver's license, and as long as I updated my driver's license promptly after moving, that the address on my carry license didn't matter.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:07 PM   #5
rwilson452

Clyde is correct about PA. but that doesn't help the OP. However the law in PA requires the issuing authority to send you a letter 60 days before your license expires. If you move it's unlikely you will receive that notification.