The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 18, 2012, 07:13 PM   #1
DMin2012

9mm practice ammo

Any recommendations for places to buy bulk 9mm ammo for target shooting? Also, I found 115 grain FMJ at reasonable price. Thoughts on that ammo? Thanks!
Old June 18, 2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Kevin_d77

Walmart prices are hard to beat. Federal 115gr 50rd fmj are $11.97 or they had 250rd of Remington UMC 115 gr fmj for like $59. I typically like shooting Federal and stock up when available. The .40 cal 180gr fmj is under $16/50.

I found that on the bulk sites, your discount prices usually cancel out once shipping is factored in. Just my $.02 anyway....
Old June 18, 2012, 07:37 PM   #3
PSP

My personal favorite practice ammo is NATO ball. It's a bit hotter than standard, has the same 124gr weight bullet I carry and is pretty clean. Bought in bulk it is about the same price as Walmart stock. I last paid $100 for a case at a local gun show, making it $10/box.

Here's a site that helps you shop on-line for deal.
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/9mm

Another good shop.
http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...pig27&ct=65200

One more.
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol...ition/9mm-9x19
Old June 18, 2012, 07:40 PM   #4
tekarra

For store bought practice ammo I like the Blazer aluminum.
Old June 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
For store bought practice ammo I like the Blazer aluminum.
For some reason I can never find this where I live.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Kyle4512

Academy

Academy has bulk Remington UMC for $60. 250 rounds. Thats what I use for general plinking. Its not the most accurate, but for plinking and just messin around, you cant beat it. Also, how do I start a new thread? I dont see the button that allows me to start a new thread. I'm new here.
Old June 18, 2012, 07:53 PM   #7
droptrd

I shot cheapo walmart loads for years. Pretty much exclusively. Id buy one box of good HD ammo a year then practice with tula, UMC and Win white box. Wasnt til i started reloading that i realized how poorly that ammo shoots. But for plinking around, why not. Most of the time when Im plinking/messing around, Im not trying to hit Bulls. Im happy with hitting a 12" target.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:25 PM   #8
dave9969

well if you are only looking for up to 250 rounds
you really can not beat wal mart prices
they usually have the UMC bulk box of 5x50 trays FMJ 9mm
for pretty cheap.

however, if you want to put a little time into it.
I like this guys stuff:
http://www.northgeorgiareloading.com/
I catch him on the gunshow circuit here in Florida. You can however
order from him online.
I have fired over 1K of his 9mm reloads and several thousand of his .223 ammo. The 9mm are FMJ loads and for all intents an purpose look as good as any I have bought from wal mart.

cash an carry wal mart most any day.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Noreaster

Federal seems underpowered to me. I prefer the Winchester white box @ Walmart. I haven't tried the UMC. I can never find Blazer.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:31 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
prefer the Winchester white box @ Walmart.
After a number of poorly seated rounds that wouldn't chamber I gave up on WWB and stick to the Federal (it's generally cheaper too). But I do agree that it certainly has more kick in 9mm. I haven't noticed that difference with the other calibers in Federal as much.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 18, 2012, 08:44 PM   #11
stantheman1976

Wal Mart has the Tul Ammo for $10 a box and WWB for about $23 for 100. Last time I stocked up here they also had Federal 100 box for $20. For practice I usually get one of those 3 brands. I haven't had any misfires in my SR9c or LC9 with any of them.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:54 PM   #12
checkmyswag

I've found most bulk ammo deals to not be that great. At Academy and Cabelas after I do the math...they are usually the same price or maybe you get a cheap plastic box for half off.

I use Speer Lawman for range and Speer Gold Dots for carry.

I'd say the real deals are making a lucky find at gunshows or buying quality reloads or making your own if you're so inclined.
Old June 18, 2012, 09:17 PM   #13
TheGunGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
Federal seems underpowered to me. I prefer the Winchester white box @ Walmart. I haven't tried the UMC. I can never find Blazer.
^ This. WWB. Great for plinking away at the range and cheap cheap cheap. SGAmmo has good prices on 1K rounds of WWB even when you figure in shipping.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old June 18, 2012, 10:00 PM   #14
power5

The WWB is the 50rnd box correct? The VP is the 100 box. Is there a difference in the ammo or just the quantity in the box? I shoot the VP about 75% of the time. Tula is stocked at a couple WM near me. Did get PMC 250rnd box once as well. Local walmart allows 6 boxes I think. Can be 6 VP or 6 WWB. Maybe it was 5. Either way, it doesnt matter what size box, you can only get that many total. Now this was a young kid so he may have misunderstood the rules, not sure. Either way, buying that amount local I have no reason to shop online when shipping usually only makes it about a $1 savings for each 100rnd box.

Never noticed any measurable difference in performance or cycling with any ammo. But I can not tell the difference between wine either. I just drink what tastes good. I do think the Tula is cleaner than the VP, but that is very unscientific testing of looking at cleaning rags.
Old June 19, 2012, 07:40 AM   #15
rodfac

Walmart's Federal 100 round count, 115 gr. FMJ is the best I've come across as far as price goes...and if you reload, or may, the brass is first rate. My last buy was for $19.97 for the 100 round box...they've gone up a cpl bucks since then (six months ago) and the accuracy was there as well...a Beretta 92 FS, two 1911's, one G19, and a Sig, all liked it to the tune of 1" gps from the ten yard line in a Weaver Stance, slow fire. I can't hold better than that and my tweaked, to the individual gun, hand loads do about the same. It's good ammunition...Winchester White box was nearly as good, tho more expensive...same guns but the groups opened up to 1-1/4" at ten yds from a Weaver. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 19, 2012, 02:23 PM   #16
Fargazer

Grafs with an 03 FFL. $9 to $11 per box, depending upon brand.
Old June 20, 2012, 05:50 AM   #17
PPBart

Another vote for Walmart -- Each payday (twice/month) I buy two or three 100-rd boxes of Federal or WWB 9mm. That replenishes what I shoot, gradually builds up my stockpile.
Old June 20, 2012, 11:46 PM   #18
warningshot

I know what 9mm cheapo ammo I aint buying again.

At 20 yards I get basetball size groups with it. With Fed., WWB., or RWS I get baseball size groups; Sig or Glock.

I won't say which one, but the box I anit going for again has the picture of a dog's face on it and its made buy a guy named, Ivan, or Boris.