The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2000, 06:59 PM   #1
Mylhouse

Can I set up the 550 to only neck-size my 308 brass while decapping using the standard Dillon dies or do I need to buy a separate neck sizing die (from Redding, maybe?)?
Thanks
Old October 1, 2000, 07:41 PM   #2
Mel Hoskin

Yes you can use your full lenght re-sizing die to just neck size. Takes a bit of trial and error in the adjustment. I have found it to a lot simpler to just buy a neck sizing die(Hornady,RCBS,LEE or any of the other brands). All you need to do then is swap out the full length die for the neck only die. And once you adjust the neck only die, you can change them at will, and not have to worry about adjusting them.(providing you do trim your brass every now and then).
Mel <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mylhouse:
Can I set up the 550 to only neck-size my 308 brass while decapping using the standard Dillon dies or do I need to buy a separate neck sizing die (from Redding, maybe?)?
Thanks
[/quote]

------------------
Old October 2, 2000, 12:10 AM   #3
Mylhouse

Thanks, Mel. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by once I have the neck size adjusted, I can change them at will. If I want to switch back and forth, don't I still have to screw in the dies in the toolhead and readjust them?
Old October 3, 2000, 01:41 AM   #4
AC

No you don't have to readjust your dies everytime, just screw them in after you have made your initial adjustments. The lockring on the die has a set screw that you tighten and it will always be right for that press and that rifle.
Old October 3, 2000, 07:44 AM   #5
Mel Hoskin

AC beat me to it. Enjoy.
Mel <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mylhouse:
Thanks, Mel. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by once I have the neck size adjusted, I can change them at will. If I want to switch back and forth, don't I still have to screw in the dies in the toolhead and readjust them?[/quote]

------------------