The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 3, 2004, 04:58 PM   #1
jekla

"how do you store loaded magazines"

just want to know what is the rule of thumb in storing "loaded" magazines. example a mag that holds 16rds of 9mm how many rounds can i safely load in it then store it without damaging the spring?? say couple of months between using it? coz there are some that say if you wont use a mag dont load it. any input please..
Old July 3, 2004, 05:10 PM   #2
blades67

My suggestion is to load one to two rounds below the magazine's capacity. This will keep the coil spring from "stacking" (when the coils touch) preventing spring collapse.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 3, 2004, 05:15 PM   #3
mete

This question is asked again and again. IF the mag spring is made properly it will NOT 'take a set' .If you're nervous about it then just take a couple of rounds out.
Old July 3, 2004, 07:30 PM   #4
HSMITH

As said, don't worry about it. Load it up full and store it, it is no different than storing it empty. CYCLES of compression and release are what 'wear' out springs, not static compression.
Old July 4, 2004, 04:46 AM   #5
jekla

Thanks for clearing things up for me.
Old July 8, 2004, 03:52 PM   #6
yy

btt

given that cycles of compression/decompression are what wear out springs, how do I square that with the advice to load a tight mag to full cap to "loosen" up the spring?

In fact this is what happened with my glock factory magazines. I put on the Pearce +1 extension to the 9-round magazine. Find that it is a bit tight for the 10th round. Keeping the mag fully loaded did in fact loosen it up for the 10th round.

how do you square that? My head is spinning.
Old July 9, 2004, 01:48 AM   #7
Gazpacho

Check the Wolff website for a really good explaination on that. Put simply, an unsed spring is longer than a 100% functional used spring. Apparently springs also need to be broken in, and compressing them gets them to that functional length sooner.
Old July 9, 2004, 01:28 PM   #8
dairycreek

Good Thread!

I am always amazed at the good answers that appear on this formum. This thread is a good example. Good shooting
Old July 10, 2004, 05:19 PM   #9
pinetree

I'm a geek, I buy twice the number or more of mags that I keep loaded and rotate them. A dab of paint, 1 dot odd, 2 even; odd mags odd months... I feel better, but I know it doesn't do anything.
Old July 13, 2004, 02:39 AM   #10
concealed_ny

Load 2 rounds and hang it upside down...
Old July 13, 2004, 08:57 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Most of the folks who are familiar with metal/metallurgy say that WORKING springs shorten their lives.

The folks at Wolff Springs agree with that and note that HOW you work the springs makes a difference, too. For example, the recoil springs in Compact guns have a shorter operational life than do the recoil spring in full-size guns: those springs have to do as much work, in a shorter distance.

They note that in addition to the normal wear (through flexing), other things must be considered. With regard to mag springs:

1) If its a 10-rounder or less, you can store them without concern, fully loaded; the springs will be good, even if left for years between uses.

2) If its a 15-rounder (or hi-cap), that spring is being pushed to its limit, and its best to download a round or two during long periods of storage.

With most guns, the same springs are used in 10-round mags as are used in the 15-round mags. That being the case, it stands to reason that the mag spring in a hi-cap is being COMPRESSED more when stored loaded, and pushed closer to its design limit. That spring has a harder "life."

I've started doing what Wolff recommends.