The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 5, 2014, 03:07 PM   #1
dvdcrr

Best aperture sight for 336

Been looking at the Marlin 336 30-30. I am interested in learning more about the best options for available aperture rear sight, and front post or fiber optic front post for hunting. I have seen a marbles tang sight, and several models of Williams. I am a complete novice to these sights, and would like to know what people are using that works the best.
Old January 5, 2014, 03:30 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I like the Williams Guide series of sights . They work well and add nothing to the side of your Carbine .
Old January 5, 2014, 03:30 PM   #3
idek

I have Skinner Sights on my Marlin 1894. I don't know if they're better than the other kinds you mentioned, but it's another brand to consider.
Old January 5, 2014, 03:40 PM   #4
1stmar

I like the Williams as well.
Old January 5, 2014, 04:14 PM   #5
kawasakifreak77

Skinner Sights! Ridiculously simple. I have the 'lopro' on two rifles now & love them.
Old January 5, 2014, 05:36 PM   #6
PetahW

Since they all pretty much work just fine, you have choices..........

All of the side-mounted receiver peep sights like Williams 5D-336 or FP-336, the Lyman, etc will usually zero using the issue height front sight - as will the William's pair made for top-mounting on Marlins that are not prepped (2 D/T holes) on the upper rear LH receiver wall.

OTOH, all other top-mounted receiver peep sights (Skinner, Williams WGRS, XS, etc), because they have a higher line-of-sight than side mounts, will also require a new front sight blade that's at least 1/10" higher than the issue front sight, in order to zero the rifle.

With whatever receiver peep sight, though, don't forget to remove the rear bbl open/iron sight (for a clean sight picture) & replace it with a dovertail filler blank, bought or made.

A 3rd choice, however, would be to switch out your rifle's rear bbl open sight for a folder, and mount a tang peep sight, thereby allowing you two different zeroes: a short range zero for the bbl sights, and a longer range zero for the tanger. (It's E-Z to hunt the bbl sight, then switch to the tanger for a long shot)

Last edited by PetahW; January 5, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old January 5, 2014, 05:43 PM   #7
dvdcrr

Wow thanks for the information I am wondering are those aftermarket front sigh are those aftermarket front sight posts do people do people like the fiber optic
Old January 5, 2014, 06:15 PM   #8
PetahW

YMMV - I long ago switched to FO front sights for all my sighted hunting rifles.

Aftermarket front sight blades, available from Williams, Lyman, Marbles, Skinner & others, all are available in just two bead sizes: 1/16" (fine) and 3/32" (coarse), and in the buyer's choice of an Ivory or Gold bead or a square post (Patridge) sight. (Skinner makes/sells only square post/Patridge front sights)

Fiber-optic front sight blades, available from Williams (FireSight), Hi-Viz, TruGlo & T/C, are available in the same fine/coarse bead sizes, and in the buyer's color of choice (red, green, yellow, amber, etc, etc) - to allow for different folk's color perception.

Like I said: Choices................

Last edited by PetahW; January 7, 2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old January 5, 2014, 07:37 PM   #9
dvdcrr

Sorry for post #7 thats what can happen when you use the voice dictation on an android phone.
Old January 5, 2014, 08:14 PM   #10
idek

About front sights, I got the winged rear Skinner Sight. This is lower profile and worked with the gun's existing front sight. This was true with the Marlin 1894. Not sure if it's true of the 336.

Either way, I bought one of Skinner's front blades. This seemed to improve my accuracy on targets, but in dimmer light (like you might encounter while hunting) the front post could be a little difficult to pick up quickly. So I switched to a small fiber optic bead. My accuracy on targets went back down a little, but I think it's a better setup for hunting.

Last edited by idek; January 5, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old January 7, 2014, 12:56 PM   #11
GeauxTide

Put Skinner on my 1894, M39, and 1895. Best value on the market. Be sure to get the front sight, also.
Old January 12, 2014, 10:39 PM   #12
Rob62

I like the Williams receiver mounted rear peep sights better than the Skinner's. But that is very subjective.

Regards,

Rob
Old January 12, 2014, 11:00 PM   #13
tahoe2

peep on a marlin

the sight I like is a Williams sight WGRS model that screws into the rear scope mount holes, had to go with a taller front sight also Williams w/gold bead.
Old January 15, 2014, 08:45 PM   #14
WhitSpurzon

For aperture sights it is really hard to beat the Montana Vintage Arms tang sight #108 for adjustability. For long range they are the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bN2Gcd3OGw

Last edited by WhitSpurzon; January 15, 2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old January 22, 2014, 03:42 PM   #15
dgludwig

I've used the Williams "FoolProof" receiver sights on various rifles for over half a century now. Well-made, nicely finished sights from a company that has been a pleasure to deal with.
Old January 24, 2014, 09:02 PM   #16
Sahof

I have the skinner 'Alaskan' it's so simple yet so affective. Looks absolutely beautiful on the rifle too.
Old January 24, 2014, 11:56 PM   #17
garyhan

The Marble's tang sight is fast to use, allows great accuracy (I have shot 1" 100 yd groups with these sights0, and looks great on a lever gun.

gary