The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 20, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Do you keep a loaded handgun in your gunsafe?

I recently bought a full-size gunsafe and have transferred almost all of my collection to it.

I've decided that I'm going to keep a loaded, ready to go handgun in the safe at all times, just in case I'm ever surprised unarmed, or disarmed, and someone tries to force me to open the safe, I at least have a fighting chance.

Do any of you do the same thing?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 20, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Stumper

yes

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old June 20, 2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Rich Miranda

Mike, I think that's a very good idea. I think it's just another part of being prepared. Yes, the chances are low that we'll ever need that loaded gun in there, but one never knows. I don't yet own a full size safe, but when I do, I will do as you do.

Obviously, guns should be stored unloaded. But guns that are intended for HD or SD are an exception. An extra HD gun in the safe can't hurt.
Old June 20, 2010, 01:09 PM   #4
gilfo

I keep my magazines loaded and inserted in the gun. All I would have to do is rack the slide. Hope I have enough time to do that.
Old June 20, 2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Webleymkv

No, I don't keep a loaded gun in the safe. I do, however, keep a couple of loaded revolvers, a loaded rifle, and a loaded shotgun outside of the safe since there are no small children or people unfamiliar with safe firearms handling in my home.
Old June 20, 2010, 01:33 PM   #6
fiznat

Hey guys, excuse the noob question, but should there be any concern with wearing out the spring in the magazine when doing this over long periods?
Old June 20, 2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Desertscout1

Quote:
Nope, I wear mine
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old June 20, 2010, 03:47 PM   #8
stevedscross

Fiznat
No there is not a concern of wearing out a spring. You see because of the way a spring is made leaving it unloaded or loaded it does not matter. I leave most of my magazines for my AR15's fully loaded. The Pistols that I use for personal defense are the same way. All fully loaded. It does make it nicer to go to the range to not have to load magazines before shooting. I just load them after I get home from the range. Though with pistols I have to first unload the Defense rounds then load them with range ammo.
I have heard of stories of people loading their magazine then leaving it for 40 years. when the original owner died the inheritor wanted to see if the gun would still feed. Sure enough it ran like a champ.
So to answer you it does not wear out a spring to be loaded for very long periods of time.
Old June 20, 2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Nope, I wear mine"

If I wore all of mine, I'd gain another 100+ pounds.

I can't wear them all at once.

And, if something happens that I don't have one on me, or it's taken from me, that doesn't leave me in a very good place.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 20, 2010, 04:48 PM   #10
IZinterrogator

I keep one pistol loaded by the bed and one or two loaded in the safe, plus a few loaded rifle mags on top of the safe. I used to keep one rifle loaded, but then the collection expanded to the point where i didn't have room for that anymore.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old June 20, 2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Desertscout1

The OP said A loaded handgun. Not all that you own
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old June 20, 2010, 06:05 PM   #12
dapperdon

Absolutely!! I have (2) loaded in my safe and easy to reach when it is opened.
Old June 20, 2010, 06:12 PM   #13
Pahoo

Quote:
I sure do and for basically the same reasons you listed. One important point is keep track of which one is loaded. I have loaded ones outside as well.

Be Safe ane Prepared !!!
Old June 20, 2010, 06:58 PM   #14
orionengnr

Yes...

I have several carry pistols/revolvers. All are loaded and placed on one shelf, with the appropriate holster placed immediately behind, and appropriate reloads placed in close proximity.
Old June 20, 2010, 07:25 PM   #15
troy_mclure

i keep most of my guns loaded, weather safed or not.

i see no reason not to.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old June 20, 2010, 07:58 PM   #16
Stiofan

The only reason not to is if your house catches on fire you have the chance of killing a fireman putting it out. Chambered rounds will fire out of overheated guns, and it's hard to remember where they all are when you are running out the door! I'm not a fireman, but I have known a few who have mentioned this.

Having the gun in a safe shouldn't be a problem though, even if it cooks off.
Old June 20, 2010, 08:28 PM   #17
redstategunnut

I leave all my Glocks loaded in the safe, as well as the snubbie. The rifles have loaded magazines inserted, but no round chambered. The shotgun is "patrol ready."
Old June 20, 2010, 08:30 PM   #18
Edward429451

Well then, with all due respect to Firemen...let them be careful with guns they run across while pursuing thier duties. They are guns and are very dangerous. To answer the OP's question, yes.
Old June 20, 2010, 08:41 PM   #19
rantingredneck

Here's my system.

Rifles in safe, unloaded.
Shotguns in safe, tube loaded chamber empty.
Handguns in safe, loaded/chambered.

So, yes. The handguns are all loaded.

Morning routine is choose one, holster it and leave. No administrative handling loading/unloading each morning/evening.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old June 20, 2010, 10:49 PM   #20
Dr. Strangelove

Yep, I leave one or two loaded and in the safe.
Old June 20, 2010, 11:11 PM   #21
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I see it as no different as a person using a GunVault at their bedside with a loaded gun in it. One can say it's dangerous to have one loaded. But my rebuttal woud be: So? My belief is all guns are ALWAYS loaded per Cooper's Rule #1. That's my mindset and that's my wife's. So, if they're physically loaded or my mindset is such, then I automatically operate/handling them as such. There are no kids in my house. So logic dictates to have a handgun ready to go.

The long of the short....Yes.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 20, 2010, 11:41 PM   #22
dhowie

I have a smaller safe for my handguns, and yes, some of them are loaded. Unfortunately, I don't remember which ones (CRS syndrome)

I don't really worry about it. I live alone, and I have at least twenty handguns laying around the house in plain sight. All of them are loaded. The only one I know exactly where it is is the 1911 I carried today (next to my wallet and keys); it will probably be a different one tomorrow. I also have 8 (I think) long guns in a vertical rack beside my bed: shotguns, full autos, and a couple of suppressed rifles. I know they are loaded! If I had to defend myself against a surprise invasion, I'd grab one of the suppressed rifles first. I say "What did you say? I didn't hear you." enough as it is.
Old June 21, 2010, 12:21 AM   #23
27Veer

Yes, actually 2, a J frame and a Det Spec.
Old June 21, 2010, 12:27 AM   #24
GodblessAmerica

Yes, absolutely. I think a loaded handgun or two in the big safe is another layer of defense. I have two in mine, both are extremely reliable and coincidentally have an understated appearance (Sig P220 and Springfield XD 45). I deliberately put them below the "eye candy" on the shelves above, figuring that an average perp would be distracted by the bling briefly, giving a few more seconds for engagement.
Old June 21, 2010, 01:44 AM   #25
bigghoss

I keep all my carry guns loaded all the time, even though I only carry two at a time.