The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2010, 04:06 PM   #26
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Laz, while most doubles with fixed chokes have them one increment apart like IC/Mod or Mod/Full, some knowledgeable folks this past century have had their guns choked to extremes.

I know of at least three good doubles that are Skeet or Cylinder in the first barrel and Mod or Full in the second.

Covers more bases and with judicious load selection, covers darn near all.
Old January 5, 2010, 04:12 PM   #27
Laz

That's very interesting, Dave, and makes sense when I think about it. Learn something new all the time. Thanks for the reply.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 6, 2010, 08:34 AM   #28
knight0334

Quote:
That's an interesting configuration - cylinder/extra-full. That's not very common, is it? (Perhaps showing my ignorance here...)

Not common at all. The box and dealers tag was labeled IC/IM. When I got it home I saw a very noticeable difference at the muzzle. I used my caliper and gauged .691-.692" for the left tube and .732" for the right.
Old January 6, 2010, 05:26 PM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're very welcome, Laz.

One hunting buddy used a 311 that was Cylinder on the right side and IM left. With two triggers and load selection, he had instant control over the pattern.

Quail off the dog's nose, 8s in the right barrel. Old spooky rooster WOD, 5s in the left.
Old January 10, 2010, 10:13 AM   #30
apr1775

In the past few years, Baikal was imported by Remington under the "Spartan" name.

Milkman; check your PM box if you're interested.
Old January 10, 2010, 12:27 PM   #31
zippy13

External hammers pose the potential of getting snagged. While you won't shoot yourself (like the proverbial pioneer who withdrew his gun muzzle first from the prairie schooner) but, in the dark tangled hammers are a serious problem. As you jump out of bed while hearing bumps-in-the-night, who's to say something won't be flapping around in your haste. An internal hammer eliminates the hammer snag potential.

Attention shotgun manufacturers:

What is really needed in a HD shotgun is what we already have in some pistols: a double action trigger with a decocker. It could be stored at the ready the hammer down.
Old January 13, 2010, 02:57 AM   #32
bamaranger

mine

I've got a Baikal SXS, 20" w/ screw in chokes. It does not shoot to point of aim w/ the first bb., the second is close enough. I keep an IC in the bbl that is off, and vary the on bbl as the whim strikes me. I have IC, mod and X-Full.
It was bought by a guy looking for an ultra light turkey gun. When it didn't shoot close enough to point of aim to suit him, I got it right.

Sometimes I load buck in the off bbl and a slug in the on one. In a location where I know there are occupants in adjoining rooms, or an urban setting, (say a motel?) I have been known to load both bbls w/ fine shot. Usually, it just stays loaded here at the house w/ 2 loads of low recoil OO buck.

A butt cuff holds spare ammo. The gun breaks down neatly into two pieces in a padded soft case that does not resemble a firearm at all.

I do not like the auto safety, but that is what it has.
Old January 13, 2010, 08:59 AM   #33
apr1775

The auto safety is a British/European thing. More designed with walk up game shooting in mind. After a while you can develope a habit thumbing off the safety as you shoulder the gun.